Part Fourteen of Two

There were now over eight million dead. All from Light and his Shinigami. This couldn't go on. We had to do something - right now, Light was like a God. Everyone on his side, still five hundred years left... He needed to die. Soon.

It was two days before my birthday. L said he was planning something, while at the same time trying to figure out how to kill Light himself.

I was doing some research on my own, of course. I was still technically engaged to Light, so I was going over every night. Tomorrow I was supposed to break it off.

"Hey, L." I walked out to the living room of Matt's house.

"Hey." He was focused on his work again.

I walked over to sit next to him and he quickly shut his laptop. I raised my eyebrow at him. "What were you looking at that I can't see?"

"Important stuff."

"Define important stuff."

"Stuff that you should shut up about." L smiled and kissed my cheek while I rolled my eyes.

"Fine." I got up and he immediately opened his laptop again. I sighed and got my laptop out to do some more research.

I still couldn't get over the fact that seven million people have died. What did Light bribe the Shinigami with?

After a couple hours of researching, I went outside to get fresh air. Everything was still and silent. Almost peaceful. The footprints were somehow still imprinted into the dirt. It kept on reminding me of Near and L screaming for him.

"L, I'm going to take a walk." I yelled towards the house.

"Okay." L replied, still focused on whatever he was doing.

I started to walk the opposite direction of the footprints. I didn't need to go to the bridge again. I had already been there two too many times.

Today, the birds were singing, a light wind was blowing, the leaves were rustling. It made it seem like nothing was wrong. But everything was wrong.

I started to hum along with the birds. All of the birds were in the trees, none of them flying. Maybe it was a depressing day for everyone.

Before I knew it, I had gotten lost. I didn't keep track of where I was going, so now I was in some woods. I called L, but he didn't answer. Weird.

I heard rustling in the leaves somewhere. I whipped around, but nothing was there. Then it sounded again. I turned back around and there... Something was. It was pure black, had sharp looking claws, and seemed to take on the appearance of a wolf, but I could definitely tell that it was something else.

"Another Shinigami pet?" I asked.

"Dammit. I thought humans weren't supposed to know." The wolf creature spoke.

"Only those that have ever touched a notebook know."

"Yeah, you're right. But I was hoping to scare you!"

"Is that what you do all day?"

"Hell yeah. It's hilarious watching humans just freak after seeing me."

"Sounds fun."

We both kind of walked with each other for a while in silence. Then the wolf spoke up. "So who died?"

"What?" My eyes immediately welled up.

"I can sense it. You seem uneasy, depressed, sad, guilty, everything after a loss."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Oh, come on! I'm your friendly wolf friend that scares humans half to death!" The wolf jumped around funnily.

I had to suppress a giggle. Did he actually care? I reluctantly told him about Light and everyone dying and Near dying. "And that's it for now." I sighed, stopping.

"Ah, my Shinigami owner told me about someone named Light. God of the new world, or something?"

"Yeah."

"You know, you seem like you like me, and I definitely like you. My Shinigami owner died because they saved a humans life by killing another. You could become my new owner."

"Seriously?"

"Definitely. You don't have to do anything special, and you won't be my owner by Shinigami law, but you can still be my owner by human law. Or something. I don't know how this thing works."

"Would you need anything at all? Or do I just let you follow me or whatever?"

"The second one."

I thought for a second. "Why the hell not?"

"Awesome. You won't regret this!" The wolf jumped around happily and I giggled again.

"Do you happen to know your way around these... Woods?" I looked around. I was still totally lost.

"Yes. Where are we going?"

"To a house.

"Oh, so specific."

"I know, right?"

We talked together and walked towards wherever. We finally got to the house and L immediately came up to me. "You've been gone for hours and I got a missed call from you - are you all right?"

"Yeah. I just got lost."

"Can he see me?" The wolf asked.

"No."

"What?" L looked at me and tilted his head.

The wolf went up to L and rubbed against his leg. "He was asking me a question. His Shinigami owner died and-"

"Now you're keeping him."

"Yes."

"Hey, I have a name you know!" The wolf barked at us.

"You never told me." I retorted.

"My name is Cicero." The wolf stuck its snout up and walked around.

"Cicero, eh? Isn't that the name of a jester?" L commented, clearly trying to make fun of it.

"Funny you should say that - my Shinigami's name was Jester."

"Dammit..." L muttered, having failed. "(Y/N), you ready for tomorrow?"

"More than ready. Do you know how terrible it is to kiss Light? He's so... Kira."

L laughed. "He definitely is Kira." This past week, L was trying to cover up his guilt and sadness for Near by making jokes about Light.

"Yeah."

We went inside with Cicero, and Matt and Mello got to meet him. They definitely liked him - Cicero definitely didn't like them.

We all hung out for a bit, but we all quickly got tired. Cicero lay at my feet and I lay on the couch with L. Matt and Mello both had their own bedrooms, so they went there.

"What do you think will happen tomorrow?" L asked.

"Light will freak the hell out."

"Probably."

We stayed silent and L fell asleep quickly. I stayed awake, never wanting to close my eyes again.

I will let you catch that fucker that calls himself Light, L. I swear on my life.