Part Sixteen of Two

A/N: Last chapter! I hope you all enjoy it. It does go by pretty quickly, isn't too long, and may be a bit confusing, but I tried my best to make the finale something great. I really hope you enjoy this. Please leave a comment here or at the very end to suggest what my next Death Note fanfic will be. Please enjoy, and thank you all for reading. It means a lot to me. Oh, and one last thing: Play the music above at my que. I'll tell you when to start playing it. Thanks again.

I had stayed up all night crying. Today was my birthday. L woke up and looked at me. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I know how to kill Light..."

"What? That's amazing! So... why are you...?"

"The way is to go back. To the beginning. But make it so you don't have any memory of what's happening and then not talking to me at all and doing what you would do if you didn't know any of this!"

"Let me get this straight - you're saying I have to lose all my memories, and then we'll both kill ourselves to go back to the beginning and I will die, only for Near to catch Light in the end and Ryuk to kill Light? I looked at L. "I watched the rest of the anime."

"That's what I'm saying, yes. It's the only way, and Light has already killed nine million people. In seven days." I buried my face in my knees so that I couldn't see anything. "I'm sorry, L. But we can't let the world end."

"I understand, and I'll do anything to stop that fucker. I'll give up y own life willingly. But... now, this is the only chance I'll get. Might not be the best time, but now it's the only time. Lift up your head." I slowly lifted up my head and immediately covered my mouth. 

L was kneeled in front of me, had a little velvet box, and had a hopeful face on. "L..."

(que music now)

"If I die, I still want to be with you forever. I just need to know that's what you want. (Y/N) (Y/L/N)... will you marry me?" L opened the box to reveal a plain ring, which was just perfect.

Tears of happiness rolled down my cheeks and I hugged L. "Yes! I love you, L."

L hugged me back. When I pulled away, he put the ring on my finger. "It might not stay if we travel back, but it's worth a try. I love you." He kissed me as more tears rolled down my cheek.

"I'm... I... I'm sorry that I have to do this." I said, referring to killing L while looking at the ring. 

"Like I said, I'll do anything I can to stop Light. I'll do anything."

"I love you, L."

"I love you, (Y/N)."

**After L's memory is gone** (A/N: I'm really sorry I don't include how L's memory is taken away, I honestly have no fucking clue how or what. Just imagine something... idk. Again, sorry.)

I shakily took my gun and looked at the now sleeping L. I looked away while sobbing and shot his head. "What the fuck is going on in-" Near walked in. "(Y-Y/N)?" He backed up a little.

All I did was shake my head and bring the gun up to my temple. I pulled the trigger.

**an hour later**

I woke up to the sound of my phone. I shakily grabbed it and answered. "H-hello?"

"I've found police officers we can trust." The first day I met L. Again. I looked down at my hand and still saw the ring there, sitting peacefully.

"I lied. I don't know anything. I just wanted to see the person everyone calls L." I blurted out. I couldn't go through having to kill him again.

"I... I understand." What? That wasn't like L at all. He hung up, and I was left there to cry my heart out.

Now I was going to have to dread the day when it came out on the news - Worlds Greatest Detective Dies. I could see the headlines now. I just hoped that I would be slightly better by then.

**Two Years Later**

It was the day. It all came out in the headlines, just as I had imagined years ago. I spent the first half of the day screaming at myself, re watching Death Note, and trying to figure out what the hell life was supposed to mean. During the episode where L died, the doorbell sounded. I quickly made it look as if I hadn't been crying and went downstairs. 

I opened the door and saw Near. "Hello, (Y/N). We're sure you've seen the news about L, the world's greatest detective, dying, right?" He had the slightest hint of sadness in his eyes.

"Y-yeah." I ignored the temptation to hug him and burst into tears.

"We're not sure what relation L had to you, but he requested that if he died, this letter be delivered to you personally. No one has looked at it, as those were also his instructions." Near handed me an envelope. It had my name written neatly on it. Why would he...? Did he remember?

"Thanks?"

"Yeah. See you round, maybe." Near slowly walked away and I closed the door. 

I went up to my room and opened the envelope. This is what the letter said:

Hey (Y/N).

If you're reading this, then I have done everything correctly and am now dead. This also may not be the best thing to send when I've died, but here goes nothing.

I remembered everything. I know I was supposed to forget, and I did for a while, but you, Near, the anime, the Death Note itself... everything. I remember you saying yes. I remember you aiming that gun at me. I remember everything and I want to thank you for letting me do this. It might have been your idea, but now Light will pay.

Another thing is that I love you with all of my heart. You were the only thing that mattered. I guess I just wanted to let you know that I tried my best, and succeeded, in not contacting you. Well, until now. That first day, memories came flooding back to me, and I knew what I had to do. Luckily, I had watched the rest of Death Note, so I knew exactly what to do. But when I had woken up, I was already calling you. It took all I had just to say "I understand" and leave you alone. I wanted to come over, but that would make it harder and we'd have to go through everything again, and by that time, I wouldn't be able to leave.

The last thing - I wasn't sure if the ring had stayed with you or not. So, I went out and bought another ring, one slightly different from the one you might have now.  I'm sorry if you weren't able to keep the other one, and I'm very sorry that these are my last words to you, even if written with paper and pen.

I love you. And like I said before... 'If I die, I still want to be with you forever'. 

Happy birthday.

-L

L remembered everything. Every single thing. Yet somehow, he did everything exactly how he was supposed to. I know he watched the rest, but was that really enough? He resisted every urge to come see me. To be with me once again. I burst into tears.  

My tears stained the page as I reached into the envelope once more. There was a velvet box, just like the one from when L first proposed. I opened it and saw a ring almost exactly like the one I was wearing. I carefully put it on. It went so well with the original. 

"I love you, L." I almost silently said when I had wiped almost all the tears away.

I could've sworn I felt L hug me.