thirty two

Tonight is when the showcase of the themed costumes will be unveiled and put up for auction. As agreed, the proceeds of the event will go to all charities nation-wide.

The Fundraising Gala takes place in the UA Pavilion, a highly decorated building that resembles an ancient roman temple. It reminds me of the Pantheon in Rome, but instead of cement, the whole place is made out of white-blue marble.

Tall pillars act as the foundation of the ceiling, creating large gaps between them which are sealed off with towering glass.

Kiri looked out the window just as we arrived in the said venue and I followed his lead.

The gates of the Pavilion alone was crowded with people, lined with reporters and their camera crews behind the red ropes giving way to the carpet that leads up to the entrance.

"So much for keeping a low profile."

I placed a hand on his shoulder and felt how tense he was. "I know you sophomores are required to have as little to no contact with the press if possible, but you could stand to enjoy it once in a while, right?"

He sighed. "Well, yeah.. but I'm not used to the attention. It gets kinda overwhelming at times, and everyone will be looking at me-"

"Kiri, you're with me." I smirked. "No one's gonna be looking at you."

As if on cue, one of the guards opened the car door for me and the noise outside came flooding in.

I stepped out first and waved at the blinding camera flashes in a practiced manner.

The redhead was hesitant at first and took in a deep breath before coming out to join me. "Not sure if that's meant to give me assurance, but alright."

"If its too much, you can just head inside without me. I can understand if you don't want to be my escort."

"And have someone else at your side for the whole night? I'm afraid that's not happening." He turned to me and straightened out his tie without breaking eye contact.

I felt my face heat up from the heavy set stare I got from him and had to punch his shoulder to get my bearings back.

"Here she is now! Look who just arrived and is now walking down the red carpet! Ayaka Blake, the girl famously known for breaking the chain by being the first Support Course student in UA's history to ever top the charts of this year's Sports Festival!" One of the many reporters shoved her mic at me as I passed her. "And tonight she wears nothing but the best that stands out from the rest! Tell us, Ms. Blake, what are your expectations for tonight's event?"

It was weird hearing that name again, but I didn't let it get to me.

I thanked her for the introduction and then smiled for the camera. "Well, I think it's gonna be a great one. After all, the sole purpose of this Gala is to give back to those who need it most. As such, the Mo family and I are delighted to be in attendance and give our utmost support to a foundation that helps people get back on their feet and opens a lot of opportunities in order for them to be able to shape their own future."

"You truly are a blessing, Ms. Blake." The reporter then turned to the sophomore at my side. "And what about you, Mr. Eijirou? We've heard that you almost couldn't make it here tonight. So what changed your mind?"

I expected him to answer it jokingly or with a smartass remark that would have me laughing my head off for the next few minutes.

Instead he placed both hands on the back of my waist and pulled me close, answering the question as he grinned down at me with his sharp canines. "I was swayed by this little lady. She looked so beautiful tonight, I just couldn't let her go on her own. To be honest, I felt somewhat territorial. I mean, who knew perfection could fit in between my arms?"