thirty six

The sun was warm on my skin as the light flooded in from the window.

I groaned in annoyance and nuzzled under Katsuki's neck.

He had his arm draped over my bare hips as he pulled me closer, where I felt safe most in the world.

I would give anything to stay in his arms forever. We slept like that for a few more minutes, and I cherished every second of it.

Until it was over.

My phone started ringing like crazy from someone calling me so early in the morning. After a few more seconds, the call stopped and I was at ease again.

I ought to ignore it for ruining our moment but for some reason, a nagging feeling at the back of my head urged me to see who the caller was.

It was weird because when I reached for my phone and stared at the ID, it was from an unknown number.

As if on cue, my phone buzzed from a text message that made a chill run down my spine.

| Disappointed, but not surprised.

MH |

Malicon Heathcliff

Damn that guy. I had a feeling he wasn't that typical boy who'd just be happy to tag along to Altair's every whim.

From the moment I met him I knew there was something wrong. After all, no sane person would agree to an arranged marriage when they have nothing to gain from it whatsoever.

I was about to reply and tell him to fuck off when he sent another message.

| Living room. Now. You're lucky his parents aren't home. |

I grit my jaw.

This bastard was something else. First he tries to win me over by sending jewels to my house anonymously, and now he's stalking me? I may not be familiar with courting but I'm sure as hell this ain't the way to do it.

I carefully, and kind of reluctantly, slipped out of Katsuki's embrace and took a tank top from his closet. I was still in my underwear as I headed downstairs to find the bastard sitting with his legs crossed on the couch.

Malicon leaned his head to the side and spared me a scowl. "I should've known. You may wear the face of an angel but underneath all that facade, you're just another whore."

"Oh cut the bullshit." I spat. "You and I both know this little engagement of ours is nothing but business. Best to keep it professional rather than act irrationally."

"Irrationally, huh? You have the guts to stand there and call me out on irrationality when you're the one sleeping with the enemy!"

"Leave him out of this, Malicon."

He got up from his seat with a cane in his hand to support him.

It was a simple wooden type that had some kind of silver skull for a handle.

Though back at the Gala, which was barely 48 hours ago, I don't recall him using a walking cane.

Did he get himself injured just recently?

"He's a bloody hero. I've no quarrels with you being a woman of the night, but for your sake as well, try not to involve yourself with the likes of him."

The tapping sound his cane created was somewhat eerie, and it put me off for a second.

I was about to bite back but then the visible limp he had made me decide against it. "Forget about that. What the hell happened to you?"