thirty five

"We've scanned the whole perimeter but couldn't find any trace of the shooter nor the murder weapon. Its safe to say that the attempted murder was done by someone who was inside the building. After we screen the Pro Heroes and question them, we'll see to the students next."

The day after the shooting incident, every student present was called into the gymnasium along with our respective teachers for a briefing. It was expected, of course. I've already got UA's best on my side, all I have to do now is to sell the lie he's been fed.

Kenji didn't attend class today, as expected.

When Ego picked me up from my house earlier this morning, he told me that my brother stayed at the hospital in hopes that his presence would help with Altair's recovery. It was sweet of him to put it that way, even though he's never really shown this side of him to anyone- especially not to his own dad.

The interrogation didn't take that long. They asked the typical questions you'd hear from a usual investigation while I cried my heart out as I remembered every detail. I said I was with Katsuki, and they were able to confirm that after they questioned him as well. Both of the information we gave at the time of the shooting matched, and honestly, why wouldn't it? It would take someone a lot smarter than a few Pros and police to figure this out.

I wiped my eyes with my sleeves as I exited the door from the interrogation room, which in this case, was the Principal's Office.

Its best to postpone any missions for the time being. My plan may be working smoothly but I can't be complacent no matter how easy this may seem.

Never let anything through the cracks. That's what Altair always told me.

I jumped when someone placed their hand on my shoulder.

"Come with me, we need to talk." He said in a low voice. "And I'm not asking."

~

Air was knocked out of my lungs when Kirishima slammed me against the lockers in the empty hallway, the sound echoing down the next corridor.

"What the fuck is wrong with you-"

"Don't screw with me, Ayaka! I know it was you! The murder at the Carnival Pier and the case in Tokyo, I know you had something to do with it!"

"You're sick!" I growled, trying to push him off me but he was stronger with that quirk of his. "Goddamn it, Kirishima! I had nothing to do with it! First you try to get me arrested for a crime I know nothing of and now you're assaulting me in school?! You're insane, you know that?!"

His canines were showing as he grit his jaw in frustration. "Oh believe me I'm a lot more sane than you are."

Lying came easy like its my second nature for me, but for some reason, it was different with this redhead. No matter what I do or say, he never budges.

I cried out when he used his hardened forearm to push me back with enough force to bruise my collarbone with his spiked skin. "K-Kiri.. you're hurting me.." The tears welled up in my eyes as my voice came out hoarse.

And there it was. It was just a quick flicker in his eyes but I know what I saw.

Sympathy.

Slowly, Kirishima released me from his grip, his eyes wide enough to let me see the look of horror in them. "I-I.."

If there was one thing I knew, its that this boy would never hurt me. Never. He said so himself.

I let myself fall to the ground and hugged my knees against my chest as I cried.