xvi. Party Separated

The Flea and the Acrobat : Part 3

After everything finished up I told mom that I was going back to Mike's house and I'll be home when I can, she nodded her head and kissed my forehead. I left the cemetery with the Wheelers, minus Nancy who was off with Jonathan somewhere.

We soon arrived back to their house and straight away went downstairs to the basement to see eleven sitting on the couch.

"Hey El, we have something to tell you" I say to her as I sit next to her, reaching over to the table and grabbing a piece of paper and a pen.

I punched a hole through the paper and put it on my lap. In the time of me telling her about the Flea and the Acrobat Dustin and Lucas had arrived. Mike was sat next to me on the couch, Lucas was sitting in a chair and Dustin was pacing around.

"It would take a lotto energy to build a gate like this. But that's got to be what happened. Otherwise, how'd Will get there right?" Mike said to her.

"Right" She said slowly.

"What we want to know is, do you know where the gate is?" Lucas questions her. She just shook her head.

"then how do you know about the Upside Down?" Lucas said to her, he brought up a good point. I have a feeling she might be hiding something from us, but I can't tell. In the background we hear Dustin pacing, we all turn our heads to him.

"Dustin, what are you doing?" Mike questions him, he doesn't seem to notice, he has something in his hand.

"What are you holding Dustin?" I question him, again he doesn't answer.

"Dustin?" Mike says again, still not hearing. Then everyone except eleven yells his name. That gets his attention

"I... I need to see your compasses" He says. We all get very confused. Why compasses out of all things?

"What?" Mike questions him.

"You're compasses. All of your compasses, right now!" He demands, we are still confused and a little in shock but we all stand up. Mike goes over to his shelf and picks up a few, I always have one in my backpack, in case of an emergency and Lucas goes over to his bag and pulls out one too. We all then drop them on the table. In total we had 8 compasses between us. I wonder why we have so many but that doesn't matter at the moment.

"What's exciting about this?" Mike questions as we all stand around the table.

"Well, they're all facing north, right?" Dustin questions us.

"Yes?" I say back not really sure where he's getting at.

"Well that's not true north" He says, what does this have to do with anything?

"What do you mean?" Mike questions him.

"I mean exactly what I just said. That's not true north" he says pointing to the compass. We still don't get it.

"What are you getting at Dustin?" I say to him.

"Are you all seriously this dense?" He questions us, Lucas just shrugs his shoulders and looks at him.

"The sun rises in the east, and it sets in the west. Right?" Dustin says slowly trying to see if we will get what he's getting at, still nothing.

"Which means that's true north" He says pointing a direction which I'm guessing is north.

"So what you're saying is the compasses are broken" Mike says to him, that's when it's starting to click.

"How can I compasses be broken?" I question out loud