XLvi. Too Late

The Spy : Part 3

The doctors came streaming into the room one by one, getting Will hooked up to almost every machine In the room. Mike held onto Gabbie's shoulder, holding her close to him for support as they both just wanted to know what was going on with their best friend.

Doctor Owens came into the room and didn't say a thing, being informed on his way to Will's room, He sat in his stool and started conducting tests on the boy. Checking his temperature, checking his heart rate and checking his pupils.

"Do you know your name?" Owens questioned hoping for a positive answer.

"Will" The boy said emotionless, like there was nothing left in him to give.

"Your full name?" Hoping for the same positive response.

"William Byers"

"Do you know, Do you know who I am?" Owens questioned almost stuttering over his words.

"A doctor?" Will plainly spoke. Gabbie took a deep breath as she was trying to come to terms with this whole thing, She intertwined her fingers with Mike's just to feel something.

"Have we met before?" Owens continued maybe trying to jog the boys memory.

"I don't remember" Will stammered. Owens just nodded his head trying to wrap his brain around what was going on.

"You don't remember me?" Owens asked once more, this time Will didn't even answer the man, just looking down at his lap, almost trying the hardest he can to remember the man, but coming up empty. "Okay" Owens just continued anyway.

"How about, uh" Owens looked around the room at the people standing around Will's bed, and pointed to Mike and Gabbie. "How about these guys here?" Mike and Gabbie smiled at the boy, Mike let go of Gabbie's hand to wave to the sick boy, hoping maybe his friendly act would do something for him. Gabbie tugged on the rim of Mike's jacket she was wearing, not really being able to stand the tension as Will just stared at the two look they were animals at the zoo. "Do you know who they are?"

"That's Gabbie, my sister and.." Will trailed off trying to remember Mike. Gabbie exhaled a deep breath taking god that her own brother remembered her. But, she worried for Mike, his best friend maybe not even knowing who he was.

"It's all right. Take your time" Owens consoled the child, giving all the time he needed to answer the question.

"That's my friend. Mike" Will concluded, leaving a big smile of Mikes face as he dropped his arms as intertwined his hand with Gabbie's once more, giving it a squeeze for relief. Joyce and Bob smiled towards the two, Happy that Will was able to remember them.

"What about me, kid?" Hopper spoke up from behind Owens "You remember me?" Will turns his head towards the man towering over everyone, confusion lacing his dark brown eyes. He just shakes is head. 

Gabbie looks over to the man as her heart sank into her stomach. Hopper stands there star stuck that he wouldn't remember him, the man who saved his life last year and had just helped save him.

"They tell me you helped save me last night. You remember that?" Hopper questions almost as confused as Will. Will again just shook his head.

"Do you remember anything about last night? About what happened?" Owens asked.

"I remember they hurt me." Will spoke quietly towards the man. Joyce looks away from her son, not wanting to relive that night again, Bob was quick to place his hand on her shoulder to comfort her as Will continued.

"You mean the doctors?" 

"No. The soldiers." Will again spoke almost in a whisper. Gabbie griped on Mike with all her might, not even wanting to be in this situation right now.