Xlviii. The Mind Flayer

The Mind Flayer : Part 2

The drive home was silent. No knew what to say, no one wanted to say anything. Joyce held her son in her arms crying into him. Joyce had never felt the way she did for Bob, Bob was a one of a kind man, so sweet and kind to everyone he met, the smartest in the room, everyone seemed to look up to him, no one hated the man. A light in the room.

Mike cradled Gabbie in his arms, tears brimming his eyes looking at the girl, blood leaking from her nose, ears and mouth. She had passed out for a moment, but had awoken once the car drove out of the lab. Jonathan and Nancy sat in the front, Joyce sat in the back resting Will on her, Mike and Gabbie sat next to each other, Mike had his arms wrapping around hr as she looked out the window, she didn't even bother wiping the blood off her face. She didn't even feel the pain that raging inside her, she just felt numb, she felt nothing. 

The Byers residence came into view, Hopper's car trailed behind them, they parked out the front. Once both cars stopped everyone got out. Hopper flew out his car, and came to Joyce's side. Jonathan got out the drivers side and helped his mother, he picked up Will's motionless body, Nancy came to his side as they all walked inside, Hopper holding Joyce in his arms, as she felt too weak to even walk. Mike helped Gabbie out, as the rest of the kids jumped out of Hopper's car along with Steve Harrington. Mike held onto Gabbie as they started to make their way to the house, When David notice the girl in the corner of his eye, he quickly ran over and helped Mike carry her inside, he saw her face, he saw the blood, he didn't know what happened, but he saw past the blood and saw her expression, he saw the way her eyes didn't have life in it, she just was blank. Everyone made it into the lounge, Jonathan had sat down Will on the couch, with Nancy next to him. Steve just wondered, as the rest of the kids looked over to Gabbie, but decided to leave her, as she was helped into the bathroom.

Mike and David sat her down on the toilet seat, Mike walked around trying to find a towel, so he told the girl that he was going to find one and left the room, not before closing the door, leaving Gabbie and David alone. Gabbie looked to the floor, blood dripping from her face, she couldn't even cry, or if she was she couldn't tell, her face was numb and the blood would of covered up the tears. David kneeled down in front of her, and held her hand.

"Gabbie, I uh" He stopped for a moment, thinking maybe they could just sit in the silence, but he wanted to talk to her, to make sure she knew he was there "I know about Bob, I'm so fucking sorry, i have no right to say anything, but I just want you to know, that you were my first friend here, and that I am here, you may not need me now, but, I am here" David finished with giving the girl a hug, it was short but warm, making sure that in that moment she could feel somewhat safe in this short moment. David stood up as Mike entered back into the room, with a towel In his hand. David walked over to the boy, nodding his head as he left the room closing the door behind him.

Mike ran the towel under the tap, soaking the towel and ringing it out, before sitting down in front of the girl, he carefully placed his hand under her chin, lifting it up slowly until their eyes met. They said nothing as Mike started to wipe her face. Small strokes trying to catch all the blood that was dripping from her cheeks. He wiped her ears, her cheeks then finally around her mouth. 

"I couldn't save him" Gabbie whispered, Mike into her eyes, now that the blood was gone from her face the tears were visible.

"No, no Gabs, you did so well" Mike pleaded with her "Gabs you did so fucking well, I am so proud of you" Mike places his hands on her cheeks as she slowly rests her head on his right hand.

"But he died Mike, I could of saved him but I didn't, there was hope in his eyes Mike, when I did something, I saved him for the moment, but I wasn't strong enough to really save him, and now mom lost the love of her life, because of me" Gabbie erupted into tears, lunging into Mike, pulling his head and body towards her, she needed to feel him. He quickly wrapped his arms around the girl, keeping her close to his body, not wanting to ever let her go.