xxxvi. Dart for Short

The Pollywog : Part 2

As Bob stopped in front of the school he said goodbye to the two twins as they got out the car. He drove off with a smile on his face thinking he was being a good boyfriend, dropping off his partners kids, which in his heart he adored as he's always wanted kids of his own.

Gabbie and Will walk into school still processing his stay he had told them, Gabbie thought I was a bit strange, when Will on the other hand thought maybe it could be advice. It didn't help with the fact as they walked to the school door everyone seemed to have eyes on them, as they always had the feeling of being watched. That was one of the many flaws that came with the family, after everything last year people can't seem not to stare.

They soon arrived at Mr Clarkes class, with a greeting from the teacher they both sat in their seats. Will sat beside Mike in the next row, with the chair in front of him empty, which was Dustin's seat, they were all a little on edge as this was Dustin's favourite class and wondered why he would be late. As Gabbie was walking to her seat her eyes landed on Mike and gave him a slight smile, which he returned. Gabbie sat at the back row in-between Max and David who both greeted her with a smile as she sat down.

"Did Mike just smile at you?" David asked shocked looking over at his friend. Gabbie just smiled to herself remembering the night before and how they made up.

"Let's just say last night we cleared up a few things" She said as she leaned back in her chair still smiling wide staring at the back of Mike's head.

"Oh, that reminds me, what happened last night, I tried to get it out of Dustin but he wouldn't budge" Max said looking at Gabbie, this made her sit up. These two are not allowed to know everything that happened, even know about the episodes and what they hold.

"Oh uh, Will wasn't feeling the greatest so Mike and I took him home" Gabbie tried to come up with a reason, she had completely forgot that she would have to make one up, and she wasn't the best improviser.

"But, he was like frozen with fear" David tried to make sense "And you looked like you were going to faint" He continues listing everything that was happening, making Gabbie more and more nervous.

"Well, we had ate something last night that wasn't sitting right" She said, it most probably the worst lie ever but thank god for Mr Clarke as he started the lesson, which in turn shut both kids up.

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time. Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head." Mr Clarke shows on the projector.

"Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was. But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality" Gabbie stared at Will as she didn't concentrate on Mr Clarkes words, thinking how much he had changed over the course of the year, Will seemed to feel the eyes on the back of his head as he turned around making Gabbie look over to David, Will turned around again but David looked over at Gabbie giving a confused look. Gabbie just shakes her head, but David leans over and whispers.

"You're telling me everything at lunch" Which make Gabbie gulp with nervousness.

"So much so that friends that knew him started referring to him as 'no longer Gage'. At the time, this was known as the American Crowbar case. Although it wasn't a--" Mr Clarke was cut off by the classroom door flying open making a thunderous noise, making the whole class jump in confusion. From the door emerges Dustin, out of breath.

"I am so sorry, Mr Clarke. Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class. Don't mind me" Dustin says as he sits down. He earns looks from everyone, most of the class go back to what they were doing, most just zoning out, but the party, David, Max and Gabbie all stared at the boy wondering what he got up to.