Part 12

"Draco are you here? We- Fuck!-" Pansy gasped as she stepped around Draco's bed, "-Draco! You startled me! What are you doing?"

Draco blinked, looking up at Pansy, "I was thinking."

"Sitting on your bed in the dark?" Pansy said.

Draco charmed the lights back on, "I was about to leave and-"

"Started thinking," Pansy finished, "which is never good."

Draco nodded, smoothing down his robes and starting to get up.

"Don't bother," Pansy said, sitting down next to him, "You might as well tell me."

Draco stared at her and then at his hands, "I'm not sure I understand it myself. My head is a mess."

Pansy shrugged, "When isn't it? Dump it all out, and I'll sort through."

"It's-" Draco frowned, "-He seemed guilty that he was upset, like he wasn't supposed to be. And I hated it, that look on his face. I just-I,"

"This is Potter we're talking about?" Pansy asked.

"Yes," Draco said, "It's like he thinks he's not allowed to grieve- that can't be right."

"It might be," Pansy said, "I know you don't read the papers but they treat him like the golden beacon of the future or something."

Draco took a deep breath, "It was meant to be fun- It was fun at first with the list and plans and now..."

"And now?" Pansy prompted him.

"Now it's terrifying," Draco said. He looked at Pansy helplessly.

"It's gone beyond a crush and thinking he's not bad to look at," Pansy said."You really care about him now." 

It wasn't a question.

Draco tried to swallow the ache caught in his throat.

"Draco?" Pansy asked softly.

"The more I like him, the more I'm afraid he just..."

"Just thinks you have a cute bum," Pansy said.

Draco grimaced.

Pansy leaned her head on his shoulder.

"He says he's never liked another bloke before. What if I end up just being... a mistake?" Draco said.

"No." Pansy said firmly. She took his hand and squeezed it, "Potter always takes everything far too seriously. I can't be sure about much, but this isn't an experiment or a game or a mistake."

Draco chewed his bottom lip anxiously.

"Enough pointless worrying!" Pansy stood and pulled Draco to his feet with her, "We both dropped divination for a reason, Draco, we're pants at seeing the future. So let's have breakfast in the kitchens and do charms revisions until all you can think about is pronunciation and wand movements."

"Okay," Draco squeezed Pansy's hand, hoping she could feel his gratitude.

_____

Draco looked over his shoulder when he heard someone running up behind him in the hall. He frowned and then did his best to wipe the expression from his face as Granger caught up to him.

"Going to arithmancy? I'll walk with you," Granger said.

Draco wanted to ask what the fuck she wanted but forced himself to be polite about it, "Can I help you, Granger?"