Part 42

Draco slowed down as he stepped outside and went through the archways and courtyards leading to the greenhouses. Draco spotted Weasel's mop of red hair above the mob of students and was suddenly glad he existed, weaving through the crowd to where the trio were stopped in front of the doors, arguing about- Draco couldn't care less- they stopped when they spotted him.

"Can I speak with you?" Draco asked Harry, his voice sounding remarkably calm, considering how badly his heart was pounding.

Harry nodded and went back inside the slightly warmer greenhouse. Draco followed him, ignoring the other two. There were students still inside, fussing with plants and talking to Professor Sprout.

Draco was practically vibrating with nervous energy, he felt like he might burst, "Somewhere more private?"

"Is everything okay?" Harry asked quietly.

Draco nodded but before he could answer-

"Harry," Longbottom called. He waved them over to a door into Sprout's private greenhouse. He held the door open for them, "You can talk in here, just don't touch anything. Because I'll get in trouble and you might die. Yell before that happens though."

"Thank you," Draco said, grabbing Harry's arm and dragging him inside. Sprout's greenhouse was warmer and more humid than the student greenhouse, it smelled sweetly of damp soil.

"What-?"

But Harry couldn't finish his question because Draco engulfed him in a hug, squeezing him far too tight. Harry grasped his robes, tugging at him until Draco relented, taking a single step back but refusing to let go.

"What's going on?" Harry asked, a little breathlessly.

"You know how I've been helping the house elves?" Draco said.

Harry nodded, "About the treaty thing and huddles and crofts-"

"Wait, you're what?" Granger asked.

Draco ignored her, nodding excitedly, "They're forming a proper guild, it's like a muggle union-"

Harry grinned tentatively, "Sounds brilliant."

"The house elves are-?" Granger said.

"They're going to demand a new contract, a proper working contract, and if the Ministry doesn't give it to them, and I doubt they will, they're going to strike-" Draco had to pause to breathe, "-and McGonagall has agreed to help- sort of. She-"

"Excuse me? What's going on?" Granger interrupted, looking utterly bewildered.

Harry glanced at his friends guiltily, "I've really only told them about the brewing you've done. I sort of... hadn't got around to the rest."

"The rest? What rest?" Granger said.

"What are you two even doing here?" Draco sighed, he had wanted this moment to be just the two of them, but the piddling pair had apparently missed the memo.

Granger glared at him, "I was following Ron, who was following Harry, who was following you."

"I figured we should come along so it didn't look suspicious," Weasley said with a shrug, "Harry wants people to like you, so, yeah."

"You're forgiven," Draco said, pointing at Weasley. He pointed at Granger, "You're annoying, and nosey."

Granger pulled her shoulders back, "Yes? SO? I want to know what's going on. I've been working for house elf welfare for a long time, you know. Since fourth year."

"I want to know about the rest Harry mentioned, personally," Weasley said.

Draco rolled his eyes, "Brewed potions after the war for shortages, brew wolfsbane for... those that need it, gave loans to business that couldn't afford to reopen after the war-"