Part 16

Draco tried to stare down the vial of blue liquid next to his mug of tea. He glared at the mug as well, the overwhelming taste of ginger didn't quite drown out the bitter potion taste beneath.

Mother gave him a look.

Draco picked up the vial between two fingers and took the nutrient potion like a shot, following it with a swallow of the digestive tea. He clenched his jaw, a shudder going down his spine as stomach clenched once then relaxed.

Pansy snickered at him.

Draco glared at her over his nice, normal tea as he tried to wash the taste of the potions out of his mouth.

"Do you two have any plans for the break?" Mother asked.

"Organizing my notes into a single comprehensive study guide," Draco said.

Pansy rolled her eyes, "Draco has boring plans to be boring."

Draco picked up his butter knife and cut the top off his egg in one clean, and terribly satisfying, whack, dipping his toast into the yolk, "As if you aren't going to steal a copy for all the classes we share."

"It would be a waste not to," Pansy said.

"Do you have any plans, Pansy?" Mother asked.

Pansy played with her spoon, "Well, some friends asked me to go out with them after boxing day."

"Jenna and Melanie?" Draco asked.

Pansy nodded, "They said we'd get mani-pedi's-"

Mother's brow furrowed, "Manipedi?"

"It's a muggle thing where they do your nails. It's supposed to be very nice. Jenna said it was anyway." Pansy went on, "And then we'll go shopping- Did you know muggles have entire shops just for beauty supplies? And a salon and then we're to have a sleepover and watch a movie."

"A movie- That's like a muggle moving photograph right?" Draco said.

Pansy shrugged one shoulder looking unsure, "Melanie said it was like a photo but with a play inside it."

"An entire play?" Mother said, looking intrigued despite herself, "You could watch Othello or La Traviata whenever you liked?"

"I think so," Pansy said.

Mother wiped her fingers primly on a napkin, "It sounds intriguing. When you come back and can tell us all about it."

Kipper shuffled into the room and placed a letter on the table, "For Miss Pansy."

Pansy stared at the sealed parchment as if it might bite her and then gingerly picked it up. She held it for a long time before standing, "Excuse me, I just-" she trailed off and hurried out the door.

Draco only hesitated for a second, "I should- I need to make sure she's-"

"Go on," Mother said mildly.

Draco pushed his chair back and hurried out into the hall, "Kipper," the old elf appeared silently at his elbow, "Do you know where she went?"

"The yellow sitting room," Kipper said, pointing to the end of the hall.

Draco went to the door, tapping on it lightly. He eased it open when he wasn't immediately told to fuck off. Pansy was sitting on one of three couches clustered in the centre of a small sitting room, its walls bare and white with fresh plaster.

Pansy silently pointed to the cushion beside her.

Draco sat next to her as directed, "From your mother?"