Part 24

Draco woke with a start, eyes wide, holding himself perfectly still. He could see a figure in the darkness and held his breathe. Finally, his eyes focused and he could see that it was Harry, sitting up, hand pressed over his mouth to try and muffle his erratic breathing.

Draco breathed out, forcing himself to relax. He slowly pushed himself up with a sigh, turning on the lamp and using his wand to conjure a glass and fill it with water.

"I warned you," Harry said weakly.

Draco gave Harry the water, "Do you want your glasses?"

Harry shook his head. He slowly drained the glass with shaking hands. "...I'll be fine."

"More water?"

Harry shook his head, and Draco vanished the glass.

"You can go back to sleep," Harry said.

Draco yawned, "How does it take usually? To get back to sleep?"

"Not long," Harry said.

Draco snorted, "Liar."

"Sometimes it's not long."

"So your dream-" Draco saw Harry stiffen, "-did it make sense?"

Harry was silent and breathed out all at once in relief that turned to laughter sounding a heartbeat away from a sob, "No! It was so stupid!"

"Merlin, I hate that," Draco said and leaned against Harry, laying his head on his shoulder.

Harry's laughter faded, and he sighed, his shoulders relaxing, "Thanks."

"I just did what I would want," Draco said, "Do you want any potions. Dreamless sleep?"

"No," Harry said. He paused, forcing a light tone, "Emergencies only."

"Pansy nearly beat the shite out of me the last time she thought I took dreamless sleep."

"I got sat down at the table for a serious talk with Molly Weasley and Hermione," Harry said.

"I'll take the beating," Draco said.

Harry grinned, "Yeah, I think I'd rather that as well."

Draco fought down another yawn.

"You really can go back to sleep," Harry said.

"Hmm," Draco said sleepily, "There's something I use, did I ever tell you about my ferns?"

"Your ferns?"

"I've been trying to make a new calming potion from them, but I haven't figured out how to totally neutralise the sedative effects," Draco said.

"What?"

"It makes you sleepy," Draco said, "I take it after I have a nightmare."

Harry looked up at the ceiling and sighed, "I'll try it."

Draco dragged himself upright and opened the bedside drawer, taking out the small vial of blue tinted liquid, swirling it and pulling a small amount of liquid into the dropper. "Ready? It'll hit you quickly."

Harry nodded after a moment's hesitation.

Draco usually took three drops for a deep sleep, but he only gave Harry two in case it affected him more strongly. He put the bottle away, and when he turned back Harry was already fighting to keep his eyes open.

Harry lay down with a huge yawn. Draco echoed his yawn and pulled the blankets back up. Harry's eyes were nearly closed when Draco settled back into his pillow.