Part 32

Draco walked past the large archway leading into the great hall, ignoring the noise of the feast for their return. The shouting, the laughter, the simple ease of it all made his heart feel like it might split in two. He just wanted to be back in his dorm and sleep, hoping it would take the edge off the jaggedness caught inside him.

"Draco? Draco!" Pansy's voice made him slow, and then stop as she ran to catch up to him. She grabbed hold of his arm as she panted. "I saw- I saw you go by."

Pansy took a deep breath and studied his face, her lips pressing into a thin line. "...First, you need to eat," she tugged him back the way he had come.

Draco shook his head, "I'm not going in there."

"Fine," Pansy said, veering down the side hall to the kitchens, "You like the kitchens. You spent nearly every meal there last year."

"I don't think I can eat," Draco said though he didn't fight her. He did like the kitchens, they had felt safe during seventh year.

Pansy tickled the pear on the kitchen's painting and pulled Draco inside once it swung open. The elves were quick to move out of Pansy's way, silent and scattering to the back of the room.

Draco scanned the room and spotted quite a few elves he knew. They relaxed when they recognised him and began speaking in quiet whispers. A house elf broke off from the rest coming over to them.

"Could we get... something light and easy to eat-" Pansy told the approaching elf.

"Pansy-"

"-and a ginger beer? Do you have that?"

By the time Pansy had sat on one of the short stools on an empty work table an elf, Lulu, appeared with a plate of sandwiches, and a brown bottle of ginger beer for Draco.

"Does Miss Parkinson be wanting ginger beer as well?" Lulu asked in her quiet voice.

Pansy shook her head, "Just juice or something."

Draco slowly sat beside her.

Lulu plucked at Draco's sleeve, "Can Lulu talk to Mister Draco?"

Draco hesitated and then shook his head, "Not today, Lulu."

Lulu quickly nodded and said meaningfully, "Huddle Rowna wants to talk to Mister Draco. Come back to talk? Soon?"

"I will," Draco promised.

Lulu dipped her head and ran back to the cooler to get Pansy something to drink.

Draco picked up his ginger beer, holding the bottle with both hands, enjoying the coolness against his skin.

"Don't just play with it, drink it," Pansy ordered.

Draco took a sip. He didn't dislike ginger beer, but it was hard to like something he only ever had when he was nauseous

"Once you've done that, eat a few bites." Pansy held up her hand before he could protest, "You don't feel like eating, but you're not ill, you can manage a few bites. Do it for your mother."

Draco glared at her, "Don't bring my mother into it."

"I won't, if you eat," Pansy said, "Otherwise I'm writing her letter."

"You wouldn't."

"I would."

Draco held the glare for a few seconds then picked up a sandwich, taking a small petulant bite.

Pansy ate a sandwich as well, staring him down and matching him bite for bite, in the process managing to trick him into eating half before he set it back on the plate, unable to take another bite. Draco plucked a bit of lettuce off the plate and threw it at Pansy's face. It got caught in her hair.