Part 18

Draco stepped into the conservatory and pulled the door shut with a click. He leaned against it, letting his forehead rest on the smooth glass for a second before winding through the maze of potted trees and shrubs and hanging ferns and flowers, to the small sitting area in the centre with one couch, three chairs and a low oval table in the middle.

Luna waved when she saw him, "We started without you!" She had decided to sit in a white wingbacked chair made from someone about twice her size.

"Longbottom is still looking at plants...." Draco trailed off," What happened to you?"

Luna looked down at herself and then back up, "You mean my nails? Pansy did them."

"All of you," Draco said.

Luna did have her nails done, in swirling purples and blues as deep and dark as a nebula. In addition, her hair, always a riot of tangled curls was a sleek as satin, with perfect spirals, woven with beads that shone and glimmered when she moved. She had just the faintest touch of blue eyeshadow and purple lipstick that seemed to echo the colour of her nails but were much lighter.

"Still Pansy," Luna said, "It's wonderful isn't it?"

Draco nodded, sitting on the couch next to Pansy.

Pansy's complexion was brighter, but the only other change he could see was that she had swapped the rumpled silk dressing gown for a fluffy pink one, with matching slippers.

"It was fun," Luna said. "I've never had a makeover before."

Pansy brushed shortbread crumbs off her chest, "And now you have."

Tulip appeared carrying another tray of assorted biscuits to go with all the shortbread and jam already on the table.

"Merlin. Are we meant to eat all this?" Pansy said.

Tulip did her best to look brave as she put the plate down, "Mistress said."

Draco took a chocolate dipped, chocolate biscuit, "Tulip, would you get your camera?"

Tulip perked up, disappeared and reappeared so quickly the sound of her two apparitions overlapped. "What should Tulip take a photo of?" she asked.

Draco gestured to Luna.

"Really?" Luna said, putting her tea down.

"To commemorate it," Draco said.

"Wait," Pansy said, pulling her wand out of a fluffy pink pocket and waved a few charms at Luna that fixed every smudge and put every stray hair back into place, "Okay. Now you can take it."

Tulip hurried over and held up her camera. Draco took the opportunity to move Tulip's finger off the lens before she took a few photos.

Luna refilled her cup and poured a cup for Draco as well as Tulip left, "I'm glad I came today. I got to make a new friend."

Pansy sighed and rolled her eyes, conceding, "You're not half bad I suppose."

Luna smiled like she was both pleased and amused by Pansy's response.

Pansy rolled her eyes again.

"How did your exams go?" Draco asked Luna.

"Okay," Luna shrugged carelessly.

"Are you doing anything over the break?"

Pansy summoned Draco's untouched tea for herself, cradling it in both hands as she relaxed deeper into the cushions.

"Dad and I were invited to the Burrow for Christmas and a New Years party. We live quite close, so I tend to visit a lot." Luna said, and added as if she had pulled something from Draco's expression, "I'm sure you'll be invited next year."