Acting Fennec-ie

After a few nights in the hospital and a few more days of bed rest I returned to my active duties in accounting. I haven't seen Retsuko since our talk either.

I put on my business casual and a newly enlightened attitude. I felt more wary of my surrounding on my way to work. The birds chirping sounded  like angels singing. The hordes of city slickers became humble hardworking citizens working to support their young.

Bzzt!Bzzt!Bzzt! Vibrations from my pocket snapped me back to reality. I answered a call. It was from Fenneko.

"Are you going to swoon creepily at everything all day or are you going to hurry up to work?" She chuckled. I searched the crowd and saw nothing.

"I wasn't swooning AND I am on my way to work right now. " I diverted. "How do you know where I am?"

"Just so you know, I'm not in the crowds. I am at work. I just predicted that would be something you do after your time off lover boy." She hastily typed, crunching numbers and taking names. "It was your turn to take care of the boss man this morning and he is out for blood. Retsuko is taking the front and appeasing him for now. I SUGGEST IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET FIRED THEN HURRY UP!!!"

The dial tone went dead and I began to tremble."Retsuko is in trouble because of me!!!!!" I ran like Retsuko's life depended on it. I just kept running until I reached the office lobby.

Drenched from shirt to slacks. Wheezing to get a single ounce of oxygen. The skipping hooves of a certain nosey gazelle halted me in my tracks. 

"Good morning Haida! Well your awfully sweaty. Why are you all gross and sweaty?" She pushed and pushed.

  I just cringed. Annoyed or Embarassed? Whichever emotion was more powerful formulated my face to an awkward position.
  "Good morning Tsunoda I was just on my morning workout."

  "I heard working out after pneumonia is a bad idea. " She like spewing facts even of they were fallacy.

The deadline for all last minute expenses were last week. I was ill and I heard from Fenneko that Retsuko really pushed her self that night. Oh Retsuko....

[INSERT INTERNAL FACEPALM HERE]

"Save the Retsuko thoughts for later."

    I rushed to the elevator. Tsunoda shut the door on me. Typical.

  I have a change of clothes. I can change them here. The most positivity I have thought all morning.

   I continued a minimal pant as I awaited the next elevator to arrive. Standing in a suave slouch. It felt like forever.

  A pair of heels clicked behind me. The Eagle secretary of the Company's President and Gorilla lady also the director of Marketing. They swayed in unison. Confidence in every hip swing . They were the professionals. I don't recollect their names but couldn't help but admirably gape. They were sexy women. I once again missed the opportunity to get on the elevator.

"Screw it." I took off again for the stairs. It was the fastest way to get to my daily tasks.

[Many flights of stairs later]

"I'M AT THE TOP!!!!" I howled.

Fenneko and Retsuko stepped out of the elevator.

"Haida." Retsuko winced.

"Hey look who made it." Fenneko laughed once again.

"Oh hey you two, did you know you were late too?"I said. Stretching my chest to feed my lungs with air.

" Haida, we're early. Had you not been so lost in thought. You wouldn't have made it on time, and it's all thanks to me." She took pride in her prank.

I was stumped and felt stupid. This whole time I NEVER even bothered to question what time it was. Fenneko had one- upped me once again.

To break the tension. Retsuko  started with an ice breaker for the morning. "Why are you all wet? Did it rain or something on your side of town?"

I just sighed. I think Retsuko talked to Fenneko about what happened.