Chapter Three

"Do you like ice cream?" he asks from the driver's seat.

The question catches me off guard and I stare at him for a second. This is the first time he's spoken to me since we left.

"Yeah?" I reply unsurely. He swerves the car over into a seemingly deserted parking lot. He parks the car and twists the key, cutting off the engine. He unbuckles the seatbelt and turns to me.

"Well? I'm not bringing it to you." He says while rolling his eyes.

"I didn't mean that I wanted any." I tell him.

"Well you do. Come on." He says. I open my mouth to say something but he gets out and slams the door.

I take off the seatbelt and climb out, following him inside. Once inside, I see that we're the only customers in the small shop.

"Hey, Xander!" a young guy calls from behind the counter. I immediately recognize him from the curls poking out from under his hat.

"Dylan?" I question. I didn't know he worked here. Or anywhere, for that matter. He's too immature to have a job.

"Oh." He says when he sees me. His face immediately gets red and he looks down. "Hi."

"I didn't know you worked-"

"Scooping ice cream a minimum wage in an embarrassing hat isn't really something I tell people. But nice to see you. I didn't know you were friends with Xander." He says while scooping a large amount of ice cream in a waffle cone for Alexander.

"Neither did she." Alexander comments with a smirk. I roll my eyes and ask for a cone of plain vanilla ice cream, which Alexander says is boring.

Dylan hands me the ice cream cone and I pull out a few dollars to pay for it, but Alexander stops me. He pays for both the cones and leads me to a small table in the shop.

A few more people enter the shop and Dylan gets ice cream for them. Alexander and I both stay silent as we eat the ice cream.

"You didn't have to buy me ice cream." I tell him after a few seconds.

He shrugs his shoulders and gives me a weak smile. "It's just a boring vanilla ice cream cone. It's not that expensive.

I roll my eyes. "I'm sorry my favorite ice cream is as exciting as yours."

"It's okay. Cookies & Cream is the most exciting anyways." He says while slurping ice cream off the side of the cone. I stifle a giggle when he gets ice cream on his nose.

He notices it immediately and attempts to lick it off. He soon realizes it's futile, but keeps trying anyways. I finally let a few short laughs get through when he tosses his head back in attempt to lick it off. Other people in the shop are staring at us and must think something is wrong with him. I take a napkin and reach forward, basically laying across the table to reach him. He stops his silly attempts and I am able to get the ice cream off of his nose.

"Thanks." He says with a smug smile.

"You're not welcome." I tell him. He laughs and starts to eat his ice cream again.

Whenever I finish mine, which was half the size of Alexander's, he is only a quarter of the way done with his. I force back a grin at the childlike expression he has.

When a little bit of it drips on the table, he sticks his lip out and acts sad. "That's one less lick I get to have." He says after a while.

I roll my eyes. "Cookies & Cream is nothing but vanilla ice cream with Oreos in it. So my ice cream is no longer boring. You can't have yours without mine."