Epilogue

Alexander's point of view

*Three years later*

Sweat drips down my forehead and face, collecting on the collar of my shirt. I reach the goal right before the boy beside me, jumping up on my feet and blocking his shot. The orange ball falls to the ground, bouncing slightly on the hot pavement. Josh laughs and picks up the ball, tossing it to me. I wrap it in my arms and stand out of bounds, ready to score and win the game. Josh sighs and walks over behind the half court line. He bends over with his hands on his knees, his chest heaving up and down with each breath.

"You ready, little guy?" I ask with a snicker.

"Born ready." He answers with a short laugh. I spin the ball between both of my palms and dribble it on the pavement. I step from out of bounds and trot down the court.

He walks side to side as I do, ready to steal the ball or defend me. I dribble the ball between my legs which confuses Josh. I then sprint with the ball to the right side. He's extremely good at defense and manages to get me to run out of bounds. I groan and throw the ball against the pavement. Josh lets out a laugh, putting his hands at his sides to breathe better.

"Ready to lose, big guy?" Josh mocks as he runs out of bounds to start his possession. I get behind the half court line and clap my hands together.

Josh starts to dribble the ball and runs out. Once he gets to the half court line, he darts to the left. I swipe over to steal the ball from him but miss. He then dribbles to the basket and does a layup. The ball spins around the rim a few times before dipping through the net. It bounces on the ground before Josh scoops it up in his arm. He has a triumphant smile since he won.

"You were off your game today. You either win by a lot or lose by a lot. We never tie like that, and usually you would win if we did." Josh says, running his hand through his sweat-soaked hair. "You read her letter again, didn't you?"

I stare at the ground. At first, I read her letter many times a day. Then it was once a day. Then once a week. Then once a month or so. But now, I just read it when I feel like I need to. Josh and I play basketball once a week usually, and he's gotten to know when I read the letter.

"You just need to let her go, man." Josh says, dribbling the ball on the ground a few times.

"Just like you've let Jennifer go?" I ask sternly. "It's not easy, Josh. You know this."

"Yeah, at least Jennifer can tolerate to be around me now. We just finished filming the last movie together. We're still friends. Can you say that about you and Isabelle?" Josh snaps. "I know it's not easy. I know. But it's been three years. Three years. It's only been months for Jen and I, and I'm doing better than you. Get a grip."

I clench my jaw together and glare at the ground. "I have to go." I grumble. I take off in a full sprint away from the court.

Once I'm around the block, I pull out my phone and stick my earbuds in. I jog to and from the basketball court every day, even when we aren't playing. I'm supposed to lose a few pounds for my next movie.

I jog at a good pace for a mile or so before I stop at the gas station. I go in, taking out a few dollar bills and buying a blue Powerade. I drink all of it right outside the gas station and throw the empty bottle in the trash before starting my jog back to my apartment.

I decide to take the different street to get to my apartment. My apartment is in the middle of a street, and I usually go in on the south end because it's shorter. But this time I go north for some reason I don't know.

When I take the left on the street, I go on the sidewalk and walk for a minute. I take out my phone and switch through a few songs. When I bring my head up, I see an unfamiliar car parked in front of what I thought was an empty house on the street. A girl leans against the driver's door with her phone in her hand. My throat goes dry when I realize how much she looks like Isabelle. The way she's standing, the way that her lips are pursed in a tight line. Her dark hair is all in a wave over her shoulder. Her back is turned towards the house so she can't see me, but I continue to walk so she doesn't think I'm a weird creepy person or anything. But then she brings up her hand and flips her hair back. Isabelle used to do that.