Chapter Twenty-Eight

A series of loud, fast knocks sound on my door. Sun is shining through a crack in my curtains and I groan, rolling over to shield myself from the sunlight. The knocks tap on my door again and I just yell at the person to come in. I'm too tired to get up.

I see a flash of red hair as my door closes and Jackie walks in, sitting on the chair right beside my bed. I prop myself up on my elbow. Why is she here? I'm still very mad at her and the rest of everyone.

Jackie looks worried and then really sad. I rub my eyes of sleep and just stare at her. Is she even going to say anything?

"Okay, I really have a lot to say to you. All of us do. But right now, the one that needs you is Alexander." She says, sounding out of breath at the end.

"Ha. That's funny." I say. "I told Alexander goodbye, and that's that. If he can't understand then-"

"He isn't okay, Isabelle. Jack came and got me this morning. We're all really worried about him and-"

"What the hell? Why is everyone worried about Alexander when he's heartbroken or whatever lie he is telling yet not a single one of you gave a shit when I was sitting against my door crying my damn eyes out. If you care so much about Alexander, tell Leven to go fix it." I snap at her.

"Isabelle, it wasn't our place to tell you about Leven and Alexander, okay? Just go see him please. He's in bad shape." Jackie pleads.

I sigh, pushing my face down into my pillow. "What's wrong with him?" I ask.

Jackie laughs. "Everything? He's just..."

"Got it." I lie, faking a smile. I guess I should go see him. She's not going to let me get away with this.

"Great." Jackie sighs. I roll out of my bed and throw the covers off. I walk into my bathroom, brushing my hair quickly. Jackie stays in the chair and waits for me to walk back out.

"Hey, I know that you're kind of stressed and upset about everything still, but I'm really sorry and I just hope that you don't hate me for too long." Jackie says, laughing a little near the end.

I go to my door and grin. "Who could ever hate the Jacqueline Emerson?" I joke at her. "I don't hate you Jackie. Just um, give me a little more time to get used to things I guess?"

She nods her head and I walk out the door. When I walk down the hall and reach Alexander's room, the foul stench can be smelled from outside the room. I don't even think to knock and slide the master key across the door. I push it open, the bottles on the floor rolling aside. The stench of alcohol and stale cigarettes hits my nostrils and I want to gag. The posters and banners that were once in his room are torn down, and several pictures lie cracked on the floor. Alexander sits in a chair by the window with a cigarette between his fingers. He laughs when he sees me and raises the clear bottle up.

"Great of you to finally show up." He says with a giggle. He brings the bottle up to his lips, taking a gulp and then burping once he takes it away. "You know, I'd never think that you would show up. Since you're such a selfish, self centered bitch."

I let my mouth hang open and my eyes start to water, either from the strong fumes in the room or Alexander's terrible words. But I get mad and kick all of the empty glass bottles to the side, walking up to the chair and snatching the bottle out of his hands. I throw it against the wall and it smashes, the foul liquid dripping down the wall and onto the small teddy bear sitting on the ground below it. The hockey jersey that the bear had worn is now stained with alcohol and who knows what else. I walk over and pick the bear up, throwing it at Alexander. He picks it up with one hand and looks at it before letting out a chuckle. I stand and throw my hands out at my side.