Chapter Twenty-One

I bite my lip and look down into the empty cup in front of me. Taylor is talking about a guy she met and how she was wondering about what to do and how serious it is between them. All I can think about is my ultrasound appointment in a couple of hours. I haven't asked Daniel if he'd like to join me and I was still wondering if I should ask.

"Taylor," I interrupt her, "do you think I should ask Daniel if he'd like to come to the ultrasound?" She looks stunned for a moment, "Sure, I think he'd want to. When is it?" "Today." By the look on her face I know I've messed up. "You should ask him." She stuffs a small piece of carrot into her mouth, "Now." She nods her head t in the direction of Daniel's room.

"Now?" I ask, looking over my shoulder at the hall leading to the bedrooms. I look back at Taylor. She nods her head. I know she's right but Abby's in there with him and I really don't want to walk in on them.

"Come on, Linds, it's nothing you haven't seen." Taylor prompts, reading my mind. I want so badly to be offended by her statement, but it's true. I also wish I have some way to snap back at her but my brain comes up empty. I settle for glaring her way and she just sends me a sweet smile.

I hop off the chair I was sitting on and slowly head down the hall. I glance back at Taylor who sends me a shooing hand, showing I should go on. I stand in front of the white door and suddenly there's a knot in my stomach and I'm 16 again.

I remember being sent by Amanda numerous times to call the boys for lunch or dinner. My heart always thundered against my chest and my hand always seemed to shake when I had to knock. Usually, when I opened the door Daniel and Will were playing a video game, but my heart was never silent when I had to call them.

This is exactly how I feel now. Except I am very sure that I will not find Daniel and Abby playing video games. I knock with a shaky hand and swallow hard, my mouth and throat are suddenly very dry. I don't hear an answer so I slowly reach for the handle and turn it.

I peer around the door and there it was. My worst nightmare as a young girl. My crush kissing another girl. I shake my head, I am not a young girl anymore and he's not my crush. I knock again, but they don't hear it.

Apart of me wants to sink away and just shut the door, but I also know Daniel. And he will never forgive me if he didn't get the chance to go to the ultrasound. I close my eyes and step inside and shut the door behind me, making sure it made a loud bang.

"What are you doing?" I hear Daniel ask, my eyes still shut. "I knocked, twice, and no one answered." I say into the darkness. I take in slow breaths, taking in the smell of the room with each breath. There's a faint perfume smell mixed with Daniel's own sent and a few dirty items around the room.

"What is it?" My nostrils fill with a lot of Daniel and I struggle not to fall into his arms. I open my eyes and see he's only a step away, and he's shirtless. His face millimetres from my own and his blue eyes staring at me very intensely. I gulp down the lump in my throat and try to speak.

"I was just wondering if you'd like to come to the first ultrasound?" I sound a little more unsure than I'd like. His face lights up with a bright smile, and my heart melts. "When is it?" I swallow and bite my lip before answering, "In half an hour." I cast my eyes down and wait for him to explode.

"Half an hour? Why didn't you discuss this with me?" I don't dare to look up at him, but I know his eyes are filled with anger that I don't want to face. "You have to talk to me about these things. It's my baby too, Linds." I feel slightly better hearing him use my nickname. "We need to talk to each other."

He uses his index finger to lift my chin so I can face him. His blue eyes remind me of the ocean and I'm drowning. "It's important, Linds." I can't find words so I settle for a nod. His finger was still keeping my chin up, our lips a small deep breath away from each other. And for a moment I want to take that breath. I want to feel his lips on mine, instead, I step back, "We better get going, then."

My eyes catch sight of Abby still sitting on the bed. By the looks of it, she saw everything that went down and was trying to act like it didn't bother her. But I could tell it did. I know it would have bothered me. I slip out of the room and lean against the wall.

I blame the hormones for wanting to kiss Daniel in there. It's because he is my baby's father. But I need to compartmentalise. Daniel isn't my crush, he's only the father of my child and nothing more. I don't want to kiss him. It's just a slight attraction towards him.

I push off the wall and head to the kitchen. Taylor sends me a smile, "Its went well?" "Splendid." She tries to keep her smile in place, "I told you." I roll my eyes, "Yes, you did." Taylor shakes her head, "Isn't one pregnant girl enough for him?" Again I would love to feel offended, but I can't. We got ourselves into this.

Daniel and Abby emerge from the room, hand in hand. "Is it alright if Abby joins us?" Daniel asks. I feel my mouth fall open. "Sure." I say before they can register my facial expression as total and utter shock.

"Great." Daniel chimes, "Let's go." He wraps his arm around Abby and waits for me to lead the way. I look at Taylor quickly. I see her making a weird face towards her brother, but she doesn't say anything.

"This is going to be so fun, Dannie." Abby coos. I see Taylor making a gag face and I stifle a laugh. "Shall we go?" I ask, trying to seem casual. Abby nods, "We're all ready." I send her a smile, "Good." I head to the door, and somewhere inside me I wished she wasn't coming. This was between Daniel and me.

Daniel has a girlfriend, deal with it. A voice says angrily in my mind. I push it away and try and put on my happy face. This is about my baby, not it's father nor his girlfriend. This is for me and my baby.