Chapter Thirty-Nine

I stare at my reflection. The red lace, one-sleeved dress hugs my body. I let my hands trail down the soft material. I  let out a sigh. One year ago I was staring at my reflection, much like this. I run a hand through my hair. I can't believe it's been one year already. 

I slip on the black heels and start down the stairs. I stop when I see Will bouncing Aiden on his one leg. "I wonder when your mommy will be down here." He says in a baby voice. "You'll see when you grow up, women take forever to get ready." He bounces him some more, before adding, "But they do it for us. They always look beautiful. And it's all for us." Aiden lets out a giggle. 

"Well, not all for you." I say, stepping closer and taking my son from my brother. I kiss his cheek, "Is uncle Will being silly, my love?" I ask tickling him. He giggles and squeals some more. "We better get going." Will says getting to his feet. I nod, "Yeah." We walk across the street to the Greene's. 

Will rings the doorbell and we wait. Levi answers the door. "Levi." I wrap my arm around my little brother in a side hug. He hugs me back, "It's been a long time." I nod, "We have to make time for each other." I kiss his temple. I step inside the house and head inside. I hear my brothers chatting for a while before the door closed. 

"Lollipop." Amanda kisses my cheek before taking her grandson and cooing over him. Dwayne wraps his arms around me, "We miss you, you need to stop working so hard. We need to see you." "Sorry, we should definitely make an effort." 

Dwayne pats my back before he joins his wife with their grandson being showered with love. I'm wrapped up in another hug. Carter. "I haven't seen you for a while." I comment. He laughs, "I could say the same for you." He kisses my cheek and heads over to Will. Tyler rushes past me. I reach and pat his back. He looks over at me and sends me a smile. 

I make my way up the stairs to Taylor's room. I find her sitting on her bed. She's holding two small pieces of paper. Pens are spread out on the bed. I sit down on the edge of the bed and take a piece of paper from her, "You ready? 23, it's big." She smirks, "Yeah, I think it's time to get my life together." "You'll be fine. You're doing great." She laughs, "Yeah right. I'm nowhere. I mean look at you. You have a kid-" "Not the best choice to be made." "You have a great job." She continues as if I didn't say anything. "You have it all figured out." I laugh, "If you missed a few things around here, I'm in love with your brother who hates me. You do remember that, right?"  

"He doesn't hate you." She says, lifting a brow at me. I roll my eyes, "Let's just see how things go during this dinner." She lets out a sigh, "Just keep in mind that I want to get somewhere in my life when you write down your wishes for me." She takes a pen and so do I. 

Prosperity. Love. Life

I fold up my paper and hand her the paper. She Jumps up and hurries to her closet. She pulls out two pink balloons with ribbons. I smile. She never forgets. "Let's do this." We tie the ribbons around the papers and walk to her window. We lean out and let the balloons go. We stare up at them for a moment. 

"Let's go eat." She chimes, walking to the door. I watch the sky for a second longer before going downstairs. As I leave the room I bump into someone. Two hands grab on to me, making sure I don't fall over. 

I look up and see Daniel glaring slightly at me. I step away from him and tuck my hair behind my ear. "Sorry." He doesn't respond. I walk past him when I realise he's not going to speak to me. According to him, this is on me. I am the reason she left.

Downstairs everyone is already sitting around the table and chatting. I take my seat across from Taylor, next to Levi. Daniel's chair is still empty. Dwayne doesn't wait though, "A toast to Taylor and Tyler. Happy birthday, you two." I guess he's figured out his son is full of crap. I smile at Aiden, who is sitting next to his grandmother in a high chair. Everyone raises their glasses and takes a sip of the liquid inside. 

Daniel finally joins us, looking as pissed as ever. I wish he'd just stop this. I didn't do anything. Amanda starts putting food on plates. Everyone is chatting and laughing. Everyone accepts Daniel and I. I start picking at my food. It is a lovely meal, but I don't feel like eating. 

"Is everything alright?"The conversation stops. Aiden is still giggling. Unaware of the atmospheric change in the room. I look up and see Dwayne looking at me. I drop my fork, "Yes, I'm fine. Everything's fine." He looks over at Daniel, "And you? Looking like you're about to kill someone?" "Everything's fine, Dad." Dwayne looks at me again, I look down at my plate to avoid his eyes. 

"Why don't I believe you?" Dwayne asks. I suck in my lip, waiting for Daniel to answer. "Abby left me." Daniel said. I shut my eyes. "Oh, honey, we're so sorry." Amanda says softly. I imagine her reaching for him, patting him in her motherly way. But I don't look. I know he blames me. I don't know why, but I don't want to be here. I don't want to cause him more pain. 

"And you? What's wrong with you, Lollipop." The use of the nickname was an afterthought. As if to say that he isn't too angry. But I think he is mad. We're sulking and he's never been the kind to take it. 

"I, I'm just stressed out about the studio. There's a lot of things going on." I know I'm telling him a lie. Sort of. I am stressed about the studio, but not enough to be this down during dinner. I take a breath; thinking he's bought it. 

Plates and glasses rattle as Dwayne's hand connects with the table. Everyone jumps at the sudden bang. Aiden's giggling turns into crying. Amanda reaches for him and starts rocking him. I get up and take him from her. I pat his back and swing side to side, trying to calm him down. 

"You two better stop this." Dwayne's voice comes. I suck in my lip, wishing Dwayne would stop this. "Please-" I shake my head and kiss Aiden's head, "Dwayne, please, stop." "Lindsey, this is supposed to be a happy occasion, and you two are ruining it!" By the end, he is yelling. Aiden starts crying again. 

"Damn it, Dwayne." I snap. "Your son hates me." I look over at Daniel, "And that's fine. But can you please stop making my son cry." I take a breath. "Happy birthday, Taylor, Tyler." I walk out of the room, out of the house. 

When we reach the house, Aiden calms down a little and I can put him down in his play ring. I lean against the couch, closing my eyes and taking a breath. I hear Aiden giggling and smile to myself. My baby is happy. That's what matters. Nothing else. 

Maybe, maybe it's best to leave. I take a breath. No. I can't do that to Daniel. I can't take his son away. I shove the idea to the back of my head. Aiden needs his dad. 

"Lindsey-" I open my eyes and look over my shoulder, there he was. All brooding, angry. "What? I am really not in the mood for this now." It's silent for a moment. 

I turn around to face him, "Look, if you want to see Aiden, fine. But don't expect me to be happy about it. You can see him whenever just don't talk to me." I look over at Aiden, "I don't want to get into this in front of him." I rub my forehead, "I think it's time to put him to bed." I walk past Daniel and get Aiden from his ring. 

I stop at the bottom of the stairs, "Goodbye, Daniel."