Chapter Twenty-Five

The mothers at the dance studio haven't lightened up at all. They glare at me through the blinds of the classrooms. Some of them have asked when I am leaving. Others have mentioned that their little ones have been asking about my growing tummy. A few of them did congratulate me and asked how I am doing.

The kids don't seem to have a problem though. Some of them have asked a few questions and I gave them the best answers I could. A few have even asked to feel my stomach, which I didn't mind.

Today few mothers are looking rather displeased with me. I try and ignore them as I teach the girls a new step. After a few more minutes of practising the class ends and the girls hurry out the door to their mothers.

"We need to talk." I place a smile on my lips and turn to address the mother. It's Holly's mom. She's been trying to keep Holly away from the studio, but her daughter loves it here, so she brings her.

"Yes?" I ask trying to use my best smiling voice. She tries to send me her best smile, but it only looks like she smelt something funny. "This is Colette Pertuit, she landed last night from France." A tall, slender, blond woman, her hair pulled into a tight bun, comes to stand next to her. She doesn't even try to seem friendly. "She is one of the top ballerina's and she's agreed to teach here until Catharina and Anina are back. Take the load off you." I frown, "I don't need her help. I'm fine."

She reaches out and pats my arm, "You're at the end of your second trimester?" I nod. She pulls a face which I assume should be sympathetic, but really it still looks like she's smelling something horrible. "It's going to get worse. You think you're fine now, but soon, all you want to do is sleep." When she sees I'm not going to budge she drops her hand.

"You will deprive the children the chance to be taught by a professional ballerina?" She sounds horrified, but I know she's putting on a show. "Colette is welcome to be a guest teacher a few times, but she's not taking over my classes." I say firmly.

Holly tugs on her mother's dress, "What's wrong, mommy?" She looks down at her daughter, "Colette is going to teach you while Miss Lindsey rests for a few weeks." I try not to roll my eyes as she tells her daughter lies. "No!" The little girl yells. "I don't want her!" She points at Colette. "Calm down, Holly." Her mother says through gritted teeth as she grabs the toddler's arm.

The little girl breaks free and runs over to me, "No! I want her." She wraps her arm around my leg. I pat her hair before asking her to let go. I crouch down to her level, "I'm not going anywhere, sweetheart." She sends her mother a glare. "Holly, you come here right now." Her mother says, giving Holly the look.

"No!" Holly screams and starts running down the hall. I turn to follow her. I smile when I see Catharina and Anina coming down the hall. Catharina squats down and catches the little girl. "Where are you going?" She asks her with a smile. "Mommy says Miss Lindsey is leaving." She answers, blowing up her cheeks and folding her arms.

"Is that so?" By now they have reached where I was standing with Colette and Holly's mom. Catharina sends the woman a questioning look. She falls over her words as she tries to explain that she only wanted to help me and give the girls a chance to dance with a professional ballerina. Catharina lets out a laugh, "Is my daughter not good enough for you?"

The woman looks at Anina and shakes her head, "You weren't here and she is pregnant and-" "And what?" Catharina asks, raising a brow at her. Holly's mom doesn't reply. "I danced with Anina in my womb until the very last minute." The woman seems very displeased with this piece of information.

Then her face sets into a glare, "You were married. Anina has a father. You didn't teach the girls that it's alright to just be pregnant." Catharina laughs, "Do you see a husband or father around here?" The woman bites her lip. "No, when he heard I was expecting he threw a hundred on the table and left. He's never seen his daughter. I assume he wanted me to get rid of her." I see Anina shift in her stance and I wish the woman would just stop her nonsense.