Chapter Thirty-Seven

Daniel POV

The dinner went by and soon we were ordering dessert. "I'll get your order." The waiter says. I glance at the menu, desert.

I can't help to think back to when she told me.

"Lollipop, be a dear and grab the pudding." Mom asks in a way only she can. Lindsey gets up and heads to the kitchen. I push back my chair and follow her. Something's wrong. I just know it. I stuff my hands into my pockets, "Lindsey," she turns around and looks at me, the way she always does and I have no idea how to feel about it. "Are you alright?" I ask, frowning down at her. Her eyes have a soft glaze across it and the way she's looking at me makes me unsure.

"No, I, gosh, how do I say this?" She asks, and I frown even more. I can't remember a time I saw her this uncertain. Then she smiles at me, "She's lovely." I assume she's talking about Abby. She looks at the door, everyone still chatting behind it. Good Taylor hasn't attacked Abby yet. I smile, "She is."

"You never mentioned her before." She says, sounding slightly broken. I want to wrap her up in my arms and make her feel better. But I can't, I was horrible. She was drunk. I was drunk. And in 6 weeks I haven't had the nerve to call her. Even though I wanted to so many times. Just to talk. To explain.

But then Abby came along. And when she didn't call, I assumed she's moved on. I shrug, "You weren't here." Lean against the wall. She doesn't respond but I see her watching me very carefully. I push off the wall and walk to her, "Why are you here?" It takes her a moment, but she settles on a lie, "I wanted to see William, tell him something." She walks to me, meeting me halfway.

"No, you didn't even know he was going to be here. Why are you here?" I ask again. She doesn't respond, "What is it, Linds?" She looks over her shoulder when we hear Abby laugh. She looks back up at me, "Are you happy?" I suck in my lip and cast my eyes up to the ceiling. Am I happy with a girl I met four weeks ago after wishing I had Lindsey in my arms? Am I happy with the red-haired girl who is taking my mind off of the beautiful blond standing in front of me? Maybe she can be more than that one day.

"Yes, I think so." I say looking down at her. "That's good." She smiles. I watch as she bites her lip, and I want to kiss her, she looks down for a moment then she looks up at me and takes my hands. "Would you pass on the message to Will?" I nod, "Sure, Linds, but why don't you tell him yourself, he's just in the other room."

She bites her lip again, and I just wish I could grab her and kiss her, but I don't. She's nervous. And Abby, of course. She lets go of my hands and walks to the door, she's planning her escape. This must be huge. Is she engaged to that guy again?

"How do I say this? This is so bloody hard." She mumbles, running a hand through her hair. My heart pounds as I think of her on the night of Taylor's part. Besides the desire for her irritation is building up inside me. "Spit it out, Linds, you're scaring me." I snapped, walking to her. It's true. Is she dying? Is she in trouble? What did she do that would freak her out like this?

She steps away from me like she's avoiding me? What did I do? "If you get the chance, tell Will he's going to be an uncle." I'm stunned for a moment, shock running through my whole body. She hurries out the door and calls out something about being tired. I reach out and grab for her hand, "Lindsey, wait." She pulls free and heads to her house.

She's pregnant? What did she do? Anger runs through me. But then. She's pregnant. I count back to Taylor's party. Around 5 weeks. It was me. I recall hesitating that night. I forgot something. I knew I did. But she was there. I run a hand through my hair. I slam the counter before bolting out the door and across the street.