Diagon Alley

You showed me dreams come to life,
That taking a chance on us was right.
All things will come with a little time,
When You believe

- Miracles Happen - Myra

Chapter One
Diagon Alley

The sun peeked through the crooked buildings into Diagon Alley. Hermione and Draco walked through the cobbled streets, her fingers intertwined with his. Hermione's summer dress swished against her legs. She stole a glance at her husband, who looked effortlessly chic in his jeans and t-shirt. He caught her gaze and smiled, his blonde hair falling into his eyes.

Four year old Nova skipped alongside them, wearing a red tutu and a superhero top. Her cloud of brown curls were pulled off her face in a puff-ball. She was humming to herself as she fired imaginary spiderwebs at the unsuspecting passersby.

They could see Rose, Scorpius and Hugo up ahead, peering into the window of Quality Quidditch Supplies. Hugo stood with his thumb tucked into the pocket of his skinny jeans. He ran a hand over his cropped curls as he checked his reflection. Rose and Scorpius were talking rapidly, pointing at the display.

Hermione and Draco joined their children at the shop window. In pride of place was the latest broomstick model. The handle was made of rare wood from the depths of the Amazonian rain forest. It was polished to a sheen that seemed to sparkle in the morning sunlight. The tail was made of identical swooping twigs, tipped in platinum.

'What d'ya reckon, Daddy-D,' Rose asked. 'Can I have a Nimbus Infinity for my twelfth birthday? Ooh, or how about as my graduation present?'

'Graduation from Hogwarts, maybe,' Draco laughed. 'If you'll go halves with me.'

'That mean you're upping my pocket money?'

'In your dreams, kiddo,' Draco said, tugging one of Rose's cornrow braids. 'Besides, we already got you a present for finishing primary school.'

School had finished a few weeks earlier, and the children were enjoying their summer holidays. Rose, Scorpius and Albus had all just completed their final year at Manor Park, a mixed magical and muggle school run by their Aunt Audrey.

'And I really love my present, don't get me wrong. I was just thinking that a Nimbus Infinity would be awesome. Me and Scorp could share it!'

'No thanks,' Scorpius shuddered. 'As much as I love Quidditch, and this broom is just epic, you know I prefer watching.'

'But how will you be my personal coach and tactician if you don't know how to fly one?! I need your expertise to get onto the England team!'

'I'll figure it out,' Scorpius shrugged. 'C'mon, we're almost at your Dad's shop.'

'Yeah, c'mon, sis, let's go!' Nova slipped her small, coppery hand into Rose's larger one and tugged her along.

With a final, longing look at the Nimbus in the window, Rose followed her family. Nova swung their arms, chattering about her favourite TV show. Scorpius and Hermione slowed as they passed Obscurus Books. Their two faces, one pale and one dark, had identical expressions of longing.

'We'll stop on our way back,' Draco said, throwing his arms around the shoulders of his wife and son. 'I promise.'

'Ugh, but daaaad, they'll be hours!' Hugo whined.

Scorpius threw Hugo a dirty look.

'Don't be daft, Hugh,' Rose cut in. 'You know how this works. We look around at the books, pick out which ones we want, then when we get bored Dad takes us for ice cream. Everybody wins!'

Hermione's lip twitched as she tried not to laugh. Scorpius threw his hands up in defeat.

'Come on you guys!' Nova insisted. 'I want to see the new shop!'

'It's not a new shop,' Hugo tried to explain for the hundredth time. 'They just re-decorated.'

Nova wasn't listening. She had marched off, dragging Rose with her.

They turned the corner and immediately spotted Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. The exterior had been repainted an eye-popping orange, with magenta trimming. The giant moving figure that loomed over the street had sparkles pouring out of his top-hat every time he lifted it from his head. Nova laughed and danced, sparkles cascading over her. Her brown face was soon flecked in silver and purple.

'That's going to be a bloody nightmare to get out of her hair,' Hermione muttered to Draco.

Hermione stepped around the sparkle zone and slipped into the shop. The children all raced in ahead of her.

'Is that my favourite customers I hear?' Ron's voice boomed through the aisles. 'Are you here to buy up all my products and terrorise your poor cousins?'

Ron swept up the four children in a noisy, squeezey hug. He waved to Hemione and Draco as they walked around the corner. Scorpius pulled away and smoothed his blonde hair.

'No, silly!' Nova giggled. 'We're here so Scorpy and Rose can buy their wands!'

'In my shop?! They're here for trick wands? I have a whole selection, right this way...' Ron pretended to guide her towards a different aisle.

'Noooo!' Nova cried, stamping her foot. 'They're here for real wands! Not from your shop!'

'Well then, I guess I'd better come with you. I should make sure Miss Ollivander doesn't try and sell them a trick one. I'm very good at spotting those.'

'Not before I get to say hi my nieces and nephews!' George cried, shouldering his way past Ron. 'C'mere and give your Uncle George a hug.'

George grabbed the children in another group hug, his hand reaching out and ruffling Scorpius' hair. Draco smirked as Scorpius exasperatedly flattened it again.

'Has Harry come through yet?' Hermione asked.

'Not seen 'em,' Ron answered. 'He text earlier to say they were running late. Car broke down on the way back from Lily's ballet class. They were waiting for roadside assistance last I heard.'

'That's why I stick to my broom,' George told the children, who all nodded solemnly.

'Did you see the Nimbus Infinity?!' Rose asked.

'Did I see-?' George shook his head, incredulously. 'Did you hear what your daughter just asked me, Ronnie-kins? She asked if I saw the Nimbus Infinity!'

'He's been out there every morning and night, on his way to and from work,' Ron informed her. 'Staring at it like it's his long-lost love. Angelina's getting jealous!'

'Beautiful, ain't it?' Rose said.

'Oh, Rosie my dear, "beautiful" doesn't even begin to cover it!' George insisted. 'Luminous! Glorious! The epitome of my very dreams!'

'So why don't you buy it, then? We could share it, since apparently I can't have one!'

'Because, as much as I desperately covet it, I don't actually have a need for such a high-end broom. Me and my ole Firebolt get along just fine.'

Rose pouted, glaring at all the adults who grinned back at her.

'Tell you what, Rosie,' Ron said, tweaking her nose. 'When you go pro, I'll buy it for you.'

'Ugh, but it'll be old news by then!'

'Exactly,' Ron laughed. 'I might actually be able to afford it!'

'Can we go now?' Nova asked. She wasn't allowed to touch any of the merchandise and she was getting fidgety.

'Yes, yes, out you all go,' George said, herding them to the door. 'If you're not here to buy anything, then you're just loiterers. We don't want none of those around these parts! In fact, you'd best take my baby brother with you too, for good measure.'

Ron pinned his older, but shorter, brother with a mock glare. George grinned, winking at the children.