Home Game

So hard to breathe when the water's high
No need to swim I'll learn to fly, so high, so high
You find the truth in a child's eyes
When the only limit is the sky

- Show 'em - Backstreet Boys

Chapter Eight
Quidditch

The field behind The Burrow has been purchased by the Weasleys a few years earlier. Molly had talked about expanding the house. Arthur wanted to build a muggle garage. Ultimately, however, it became a permanent Quidditch pitch.

The sun beat down as the teams slipped through the gate onto the field. They each carried their brooms and team jerseys. The family members who wanted to spectate followed closely behind. Nova was on Scorpius' shoulders, cheering for everyone. Hermione conjured a comfy chair and settled into it with a book.

'Y'ready, kid?' George asked Rose.

'I was born ready,' she said. 'Let's do this!'

They high-fived each other, leading into a complicated handshake involving a lot of waggling fingers and spinning around.

'You two are so lame,' Fred Jr informed them.

'You wish you were as cool as me, son!'

'Yeah, you wish!' Rose said, sticking her tongue out at her cousin.

'Whatever,' Fred rolled his eyes and handed them both their beater bats. 'Just don't let Vic and Teddy knock mum off her broom this time.'

'Yeah, definitely not going to make that mistake again,' George said, glancing at his wife. Angelina pretended to glare at him.

'Ok everyone,' Audrey called, broom in hand. 'Gather up.'

George and Rose shrugged into their jerseys and jogged over to the rest of the blue team. George kissed the top of Angelina's head, his arm loosely around her shoulder. Fred stood next to them with his sister, Roxanne. Ron fastened his helmet over his thinning, red hair. Draco strolled over, straightening his blue jersey.

Behind Audrey stood the red team. Victoire and Teddy held their beater bats lightly in their hands. Victoire's brother Louis and cousin Molly stood with Ginny. Harry helped James tighten his Keeper helmet, then stood up straight and stretched the kinks out of his back.

'Alright then,' Audrey said. 'I guess it's my turn to referee again! Let's have a clean game, with as few people getting hurt as possible. It's not fair on our resident healer if he has to stop Seeking to take care of injuries!'

'I still caught the snitch, though!' Draco called, smirking.

'Only because I was the one who got hurt!' Harry shouted back.

'Settle down, settle down,' Audrey said. 'Ok, mount your brooms!'

The teams kicked off and settled into their positions. Audrey blew the whistle and threw the quaffle into play. Ginny darted forward and grabbed it. The bludgers whistled through the air, zooming at the players. Rose hit one towards Louis, who fumbled the pass from Ginny. Fred snatched it and passed it to Roxanne. She sped towards their goals, her brother and mother in tight formation beside her.

James watched their approach, his eyes focused on Roxanne. At the last moment she passed the quaffle to Angelina, who scored through the left hoop. James cursed at them.

'Oi, watch your language!' Harry called from above.

'Sorry Dad, sorry Auntie Ange!'

Draco was circling the pitch, searching for the speck of gold. He ducked a bludger from Teddy, who grinned impishly at him. The bludger curved back around towards Fred. George intercepted it and sent it towards Molly. She easily dodged and caught the quaffle Louis threw to her. She ducked around Roxanne and raced towards the goals. Ron was hovering in front of the middle hoop, watching. She feinted left and threw the ball right. Ron reached out and smoothly saved it.

'Ugh, Uncle Ron!'

'Sorry, kid, better luck next time!'

The game continued, with the red team gaining a slim lead. Draco could see Hermione had magicked a parasol to shade her from the sun. Scorpius was watching avidly through a pair of binoculars. Nova sat next to him, watching through her own binoculars.

A bludger whizzed past Draco, narrowly missing his head

'Pay attention, Dad!' Rose called as she flew after the bludger.

She smacked it towards James, who ducked. Fred took advantage of his momentary distraction and scored. James flipped a rude gesture at Rose when his parents weren't looking. The two teams were now tied.

'Uh oh,' Nova whispered.

'What's up?' Scorpius looked to where she was pointing. Bill's dog was wriggling through the hedge. 'Oh, Jeez. Uncle Bill, Yogi's coming to visit!'

'Go! Go back to Fleur,' Bill told his dog, pointing back to The Burrow.

Yogi emerged fully from the hedge. Tail wagging, he bounded onto the area below the players.

'Oh for f-' Bill muttered. 'Yogi, get back here!'

The dog ignored him, jumping and wuffing in delight at the game above. A bludger whizzed overhead and he growled at it. Rose hit it away from him and back into the action.

'Yogi! Go!' Rose ordered. 'Guys, we've a rogue dog on the pitch!'

Audrey put the whistle to her lips, ready to call a time out. Yogi jumped up, snapping at the air. Tail beating happily, he trotted off to Bill. Audrey shrugged and continued refereeing.

'Yogi, what're you doing?' Bill asked. 'What's in your...Oh. You've got to be kidding me.'

Bill held up the snitch. Yogi rolled over playfully. Hermione snorted and waved to get Audrey's attention. The whistle blew and all the players descended.

'Again?!' Rose cried, seeing the snitch in Bill's hand. 'Yogi! Bad dog!'

'What was the score?' Audrey asked Scorpius.

'It was a tie, actually,' he said, showing her his notebook. 'Fifty-fifty.'

'Can't we keep playing?' James asked. Rose nodded enthusiastically.

'Sorry kiddo,' Harry said. 'It's too late in the afternoon. If we start playing again now, it'll be dark by the time we're done.'

Everyone started packing up and headed back through the gate. Rose and James dragged their feet, sighing woefully.

Victoire snapped her fingers at Yogi and he trotted beside her obediently.