The Leaky Cauldron

So here comes the next one, the next in line
Stay as young you can, for the longest time
Cause those days flew by
Like a breeze just passing through
Once, when I was little

- Once When I Was Little - James Morrison

Chapter Three
The Leaky Cauldron

Ron and the children stepped out of Diagon Alley and into the Leaky Cauldron. Ron spotted his wife and twins sat at a large table by the window. One of the boys were breathing on the glass and drawing pictures in the fog. The other was pulling faces at the oblivious muggles as they walked past on the street outside.

'Let's get this over with,' Rose muttered, plastering a smile on her face. 'Miranda! How are you?'

'Rosie! Darling!' Miranda gushed. 'I'm doing well, how are you? Did you get your new wand?'

Miranda was tiny, barely the same height as Rose when she stood to hug her. She had light brown hair and a round face. She was dressed casually in jeans and a checked shirt.

'Yeah, I did, thanks. Hi Mal, hey there Si.'

Malcolm and Simon ignored her. The twins had just turned two and were, in Ron's words, 'a handful'. They both had dark red hair and faces full of freckles. Miranda hugged Hugo, Scorpius and Nova as they all settled into seats at the table.

'Dad, your phone's ringing,' Hugo said, pointing at Ron's buzzing mobile.

'Oh, thanks kiddo. Hello? Oh, hey Harry...Yeah we're in the Leaky Cauldron...We were about to order. Want us to wait?...Nah, it's no problem...ok, yeah, cool. See you soon. Bye!'

Ron hung up just as Hermione and Draco weaved through the tables towards them. Draco looked a little paler than normal, but smiled brightly at everyone.

'Harry just called,' Ron told them. 'They're home and about to floo over. Says they'll meet us for lunch then do their shopping after.'

'Hi, are you guys ready to order?' A teenage waitress stood nearby, quill in hand.

'Not just yet, thank you,' Hermione said. 'We're waiting on a few more people. We could probably put in our drinks order though?'

They had just finished ordering drinks when the Potters stepped out of the fireplace. Ginny and Lily arrived first. Lily had a tracksuit on over her ballet leotard, her dark brown hair pulled back into a tight bun. James slouched into a seat, looking bored. Albus sat between Scorpius and Rose, and they were immediately lost in conversation.

'Sorry we're late,' Harry said, hurrying over. 'Stupid car broke down. There were too many muggles around so we had to do things the non-magical way.'

'I thought I heard the dulcet tones of The Boy Who Lived!' Neville exclaimed, a tray of drinks hovering next to him. 'How are you all?'

Neville set the drinks down and gave everyone hugs. He was tall and lanky, with boyish enthusiasm and greying hair.

'Hannah got you on bartending duties, huh?' Ron asked, pounding Neville's back as they hugged. 'Not much of a summer holiday!'

'Yeah, well, I'm used to being busy so I'd have gone mad with nothing to do anyway.' He pulled up a chair. 'How was your first year, James?'

'S'alright,' James shrugged.

'He missed Quidditch,' Ginny said. 'Looking forward to trying out next year, right?'

James nodded, not looking up from his phone.