Platform 9 & 3/4

Chapter Sixteen
Platform 9 & 3/4

The morning of the first of September was crisp and cold. Harry's breath came in puffs of silver as he hurried his family across the busy road towards the train station. James's owl hooted quietly from its cage, on top of the trolley Harry was pushing. Lily trailed behind with Albus, their expressions equally doleful. 

'It won't be long, and you'll be going too,' Harry told them.

'Not for another few years,' sniffed Lily. 'I want to go now!'

The other passengers stared openly, their eyes trailing across the caged owl and the large trunk. The family ignored the curious glances as they wove their way towards the barrier between platforms nine and ten. Harry heard Albus's voice over the surrounding noise. James had fallen back to walk with his siblings, and they were continuing the argument the boys had started in the car.

'I won't! I won't be a Slytherin!'

'James, give it a rest!' said Ginny.

'I only said he might be,' said James, grinning. 'When he finally comes to Hogwarts. And there's nothing wrong with that. He might be in Slytherin.'

Ginny raised an eyebrow at her eldest son, and James fell silent. The five Potters approached the barrier. With a smirk over his shoulder at Albus and Lily, James took the trolley from his father. He broke into a run and a moment later, he had vanished.

'You'll write to me, won't you?' Albus asked, taking advantage of James's momentary absence. 'While I'm at Uagadou?'

'Every day, if you want us to,' said Ginny.

'Not every day,' said Albus quickly, 'James says most people at Hogwarts only get letters from home about once a month. I'll bet it's the same there too.'

'We wrote to James three times a week last year,' said Ginny.

'And you don't want to believe everything he tells you about Hogwarts,' Harry put in. 'He likes a laugh, your brother.'

Lily slipped her hand into Ginny's and the four of them walked forward. As they reached the wall, Albus winced, but no collision came. Instead, they stepped out into Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. The platform was obscured by the thick, white steam pouring from the Hogwarts Express. Indistinct figures were moving through the mist, into which James had already disappeared.

'Where are they?' asked Albus, peering at the hazy forms as they walked down the platform.

'We'll find them,' said Ginny reassuringly.

The vapor was dense, and it was difficult to make out anybody's faces. Detached from their owners, voices sounded unnaturally loud.

'I think that's them, Al,' said Ginny.

A group of people emerged from the mist, standing alongside the very last carriage. Their faces only came into focus when Harry, Ginny, Lily, and Albus had drawn right up to them.

'Hi,' said Albus, sounding immensely relieved.

The Granger-Malfoys were dressed casually in muggle clothes. Rose looked sulky, but smiled weakly at Albus when Scorpius elbowed her.

'Parked alright then?' Draco asked Harry. 'I didn't believe you could pass a Muggle driving test. Thought you'd have to Confund the examiner.'

'You would,' Hermione said, rolling her eyes at Draco. 'I didn't think that. I had complete faith in you, Harry.'

'As a matter of fact, I did Confund him,' Harry whispered to Ginny, when the others were distracted. 'I only forgot to look in the wing mirror, and let's face it, I can use a Supersensory Charm for that.'