Ouagadougou

On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again
And I can't wait to get on the road again

- On the Road Again - Willie Nelson

Chapter Twenty-One
Ouagadougou

All too soon, it was time to get back up and start the day. Rose trudged out of her room and found Draco cooking pancakes for breakfast. Nova was sat on the floor in front of the sofa as Hermione braided her hair. From the way Nova fidgeted, they'd been sitting for a while already.

'Could you go check on your brothers, Rose?' Draco asked. 'I've not heard any movement for a bit.'

'Oi! Lazy bones!' Rose yelled, hammering on the boys' door. 'Get out of bed!'

'That's not what I meant and you know it,' Draco said, raising an eyebrow at her when she returned.

'It worked though,' she said as the boys slunk into the kitchen a few minutes later.

Draco rolled his eyes and handed everyone a plate. Nova skipped over, her hair neatly tied in box-braids. Hermione set the brush next to Hugo, looking pointedly at his tangled curls. Hugo shrugged, running his hand over his hair. His pajamas were rumpled and he looked like he didn't sleep well.

Once everyone had eaten and got dressed, they went downstairs to wait for Youssef. The Potters were lounging in chairs under the covered walkway. The porch looked out onto a pebbled area next to the driveway. Small, potted trees were dotted around, and a fountain trickled in the centre.

It was already a warm day, though the sun was not yet high in the sky. Lily fanned herself with her hat, whining about the heat. She tugged at her dress as it stuck to her. Ginny had a large, floppy hat over her red hair. Her blue tank-top showed the freckles scattered across her pale shoulders. Rose stared slightly at Harry, unused to seeing him in shorts and a t-shirt. He was always dressed formally in a suit or work-robes.

Albus wandered over, a baseball cap pulled low over his forehead. He jerked his head to indicate he wanted to talk with them. Rose and Scorpius walked with him away from everyone else.

'So, er, you guys have any interesting dreams last night?' Albus asked, his hands shoved inside the pockets of his basketball shorts.

'Yup!' Rose said. 'You get a rock too?'

Albus nodded. They each pulled their stone out of their pockets and compared them. Albus had a sun carved into his, partially obscured by a cloud.

'What does yours mean?' Scorpius asked, examining it.

'The phoenix called me "Shadow One",' Albus said. 'Told me I need to learn to step out from everyone's shadow. Said it's hard to have famous parents, well, famous whole family, and to be named after two supposedly heroic dead guys. I've apparently got to figure out who I am on my own merit, and stop comparing myself to everyone else.'

'Sounds fair,' Scorpius nodded, handing back the stone. 'I got a similar message. Think it feels we'll have a good chance at that here, away from everyone and everything.'

'I'm just a walking contradiction,' Rose smirked, tucking her stone into the pocket of her denim shorts.

'Mary, Mary, quite contrary!' Albus laughed.

'Our ride is here,' Rose said, ignoring him, 'let's go!'

They piled into Youssef's van, shouting greetings to him as they settled into their seats. Once everyone was ready, he pulled out of the compound, waving to Taj. The boy saluted them as he dragged the gate closed.

'How are you all this morning? Sleep ok?'

They all called out their agreement, though everyone's gaze was drawn to the people and buildings they drove past. The roads were pale brown, with motorbikes sending up clouds of sand as they darted through the traffic. Men and women in bright clothes pushed along handcarts filled with wares to sell. People on bicycles wove between the vehicles, pedalling quickly past.

The buildings were all sandy-coloured, and in the distance they could see high-rise skyscrapers. The windows glistened in the sunlight. A group of children played in a nearby park, kicking a football and shrieking with laughter.

'Everybody looks like me!' Nova whispered, wriggling in excitement.

They pulled off the main road onto small, narrow streets. The traffic slowly eased off as they entered the outskirts of the city. Youssef turned down an alley and stopped outside a tall, wooden gate. He waved his fingers and the gate disappeared.

'These aren't the droids you're looking for,' Albus whispered to Rose and Scorpius.

'Move along,' Scorpius whispered back as they giggled.

Youssef drove through the space where the gate had been and into in a large, dusty car-park. It was filled with a variety of transportation, from cars and bicycles, to broomsticks and flying carpets. Youssef drove along the rows until he found an empty parking spot, next to a winged horse.

'Tsk,' he said, shaking his head as they got out of the car. 'Shouldn't leave their creatures out in this heat.'

He waggled his hand, and a large parasol grew from the ground in front of the creature. It neighed quietly, bobbing its head at Youssef. He patted its nose and pointed at its empty water bucket, quickly refilling it.

'Alright, the market is this way!'

They walked through the car-park, watching witches and wizards apparate with sharp cracks. Scorpius tugged Rose along as she dawdled. Her attention was fixed on the different brooms propped up against posts.

Albus jumped as a flying carpet appeared in front of them, the invisibility spells disappearing when the family stepped off it. A little girl in a brocade dress stared openly at him. He waved warily at her. Her parents hurried her away, smiling apologetically at them.

'Don't think she's ever seen white people before,' Scorpius whispered to him. 'We do kind of stand out. Is this what school's going to be like?'

'I'm sure it'll be fine,' Albus said, rubbing his neck nervously.

'Alright,' Youssef said. 'Here we are!'

He pointed at a low wooden fence. The little girl and her family stepped through a gate and disappeared.

*****

A/N: Today is my last day at work, so I'm feeling sentimental. For that reason (and since my last chapter was a bit weird!), I decided to share another chapter with you this week. After this, we'll be back to one update every Wednesday. Luckily, thanks to NaNoWriMo I have enough new chapters drafted that I can spare this one from the schedule! Not enough to go back to twice a week yet, though. I'm working on it! Also, if anyone has song suggestions, please let me know - I'm starting to run out!

Thank you for all your support, votes and comments. I appreciate you all!

Much love,
Charli