Chapter 3

"So you just think you can just stroll on out there with no place to go and have me wish you good luck?" Strange teleported in front of me, stopping me in my tracks. "You just got here, with no currency, no food, no shelter. Nothing but a frivolous attitude."

"I've been taking care of myself since I was a child, extroverted into my world with a gregarious nature." My arms folded over my chest, the sunlight creeping through the cracks of the building to caress one side of my face. "I'll manage just fine without your assistance."

"This isn't your world young asgardian, even though you can defend yourself, you will get desperate and become the enemy to New York." He stated with certainty, his cloak lightly levitating.

"Stop calling me young asgardian, I have a name for a reason old man." I pushed passed him, to groan in frustration to see he was in front of me once more. "I appreciate the sympathy, but I will not become a foe of these grounds for survival reasons."

"You said so yourself, you are a thief." He recalled my words, "You'll steal to avoid starvation."

"What's new? That's how it was for me on Asgard! Nothing will ever change in this wretched life of mine Strange!" My temper escalated by the minute, "And if I die, I die! That's how it goes, because I don't care what happens to me at this rate! I don't care what decides to crawl under my skin because who I am will always be an issue to any realm I make an appearance in!" My finger pressed into my chest, "Now, I will go and continue forward like nothing has ever altered. I will adapt to this new area." And with that, I was already pushing him to the side again to exit.

"That hallow skull of yours is failing to be direct with this situation. I know with who you are makes you awfully cocky and its clear that you've had a gloomy past." I sighed deeply at his words and glared at him, "However, Tabitha, if you ever decide to think straight and stop digging your own grave, come back here. I know you're not a bad kid, just someone who's lost, I get it—but I will offer you sanctuary if you ever need it." Strange wasn't hesitant to offer, and my glare faded so my face laid expressionless. I debated on taking his kind gesture, but I didn't want someone to get in the way, no matter how empathetic they were.

Before he could utter a word, I turned on my heels and grabbed the doorknob, twisting it as I escorted myself out of his home—if that's what it was. I heard the thud of the door behind me, indicating that it had closed and Strange didn't bother to come after me. Relief flooded over me and my gaze landed onto the contraptions from earlier, each holding their own mortals. I would know more about this population and what their regular doings were, but I quit going to school after my parents had met an unfortunate fate. A dreary feeling swept all over me, knowing that I had to possibly learn new techniques for theft considering these mortals don't do their everyday tasks the same way asgardians do.

With one last glance on the wizard's building, I stepped down the small stairs and walked elsewhere without second thought.

* * *

I couldn't pinpoint how far I was from where I started, and nothing seemed to change with getting the bizarre stares that I've grown used within this past hour. I wasn't looking for a particular finish line, but I have been searching for someplace that didn't cause me to be condemnatory towards. Where I was according to Strange was called New York, and It was very complex due to its size and chaos. My feet tapped lightly from my boots and I noticed the sol was going down, though I wasn't positive that is what it was called around here. Nor did the sol look like ours on Asgard. Since it was about to kiss the ground, I needed a place for shelter, and I doubted I could ever find such a thing in my position.

I came to a stop to observe my surroundings, brisk to catch a man laying down on weird looking furniture made out of wood and a tad of metal. It appeared uncomfortable, but the man sleeping peacefully on it told me otherwise. With no other option, I strolled into the open field which I presume is a park. Receiving more judging stares from a few people passing by, I also heard them giggle silently as one brushed against my shoulder; I felt abashed for the first time today and felt my cheeks burn knowingly. I didn't fit in even a dent, I was an outcast on my first day. I knew exactly why, my attire was completely opposite of normal and I didn't know the first step in getting new clothes.