Chapter 5

My lips wrapped around the lid of the drink, feeling the warmth of it brush my face lightly. I blew into the cup to create ripples in the liquid before taking a tiny sip. The beverage satisfied my taste buds in the perfect temperature. My lips smacked and I gazed over at Strange who sat across the table, absorbed into what he was reading.

I broke the silence, making soundless sigh as I adjusted myself in my seat. "What is this called again?"

"Starbucks." Strange replied with his nose still in the book.

"The drink is called Starbucks?"

Strange sighed while setting down the book to give his full attention, "No saint, the type of coffee you're having is from Starbucks the restaurant. " He scratched the back of his ear lost in thought before continuing. "Don't you have coffee on Asgard?"

"Not that I know of." I informed while taking another sip, earning a perplexed look from Strange.

"Shocker, but at the same time its not weirdly." He said then blew air from his cheeks. "How'd you sleep last night?"

"Like a baby." I let out a small chuckle before my amusement escalated to sincerity, my lips twitching into my cheek as I thought about my situation. Strange must have read off my blank, unsure face. He tapped his fingers and cleared his throat to gain my attention with his ears perked for an explanation. I hesitated while debating with myself if I should tell him. In result, I shrugged it off and told him finding it pointless not to. "I know you've already done a lot for me, offering a place for me to stay, giving me food and this Starbucks..." I paused and glanced at my shoes.

"Go on?" Strange ushered quietly and I rolled my eyes partly frustrated with myself.

"I want to learn more about mortals, and I know they are educated here as well am I wrong?"

Strange raised his finger with narrowed eyes, "First off, mortals?"

My eyebrows jumped and I shrugged, "Well it's true."

"Aren't you technically a mortal now, saint?" He cocked up an eyebrow and I felt my cheeks heat up, "Pretty certain you told me that Od—pardon me, Loki took away your asgardian lifespan."

'Whatever," I internally implored the topic to be changed. "what's second off?"

"Second off," He started, "yes we go to school on Earth, pretty sure that was obvious even without an answer." He stated and I wanted to bite back at him but bit my tongue instead. He perfectly knew I was a witty girl, as did I. "Are you trying to go somewhere with this?"

"You shit on me for being gullible, but aren't seeing what's coming up." I cracked a smile with a small laugh. "Can't you see the future?"

"I can, but I will not waste my time when you're literally right in front of me." Strange said in a voice that could cut glass. "Just lay it out on me already."

I set down my coffee and leaned closer towards the table to speak. "Alright fine, I'll cut to the chase." I raised my voice higher than necessary, "If I am going to start over, I should continue what I stopped doing when my parents passed." My voice slightly cracked from mentioning them.

"You want to go to school here." Strange said matter-of-fact, almost choking from the question as I confirmed with a brief nod, "You expect me to assist you in making that happen?"

I crinkled my nose, letting out an unsteady breath. "I want to fix my life, It is quite obvious I will butcher it all over again if I am alone..." I sent a blank look towards Strange who was deep in his own thoughts. He easily spotted the spark in me, that was lively full of lyrical desperation. I wanted this badly, and he knew that.