Harry x Reader (Pet Shop)

It was finally the day. You've saved up for years now, and you've finally scraped together enough money for a pet of your own. Working in your brothers' joke shop paid well, but you spent most of that money on the costly robes, textbooks, and supplies for schools. Mom had offered to pay for a pet every birthday, but you looked  past her warm eyes and saw a woman struggling for money to support her kids, let alone an extra pet. It was that moment four years ago when she made her first offer that you decided that you'd be self-sufficient, earning everything purely on your own.
    And now, your loving boyfriend had offered to ditch Charms with you to go to the pet shop. You giggled in happiness the whole way, enjoying tugging on Harry's arm down Diagon Alley. He rolled his eyes but grinned, and your flicked his crackly glasses. "I'm proud of you for being so independent and working to buy a pet yourself. Even though I could've paid for it for you..." Harry grumbled. You smiled. Harry always felt the urge to buy you everything you wanted and more with his large bank account, but you'd always happily shake your head and save up instead. Things always felt better when you worked for it yourself.
    The door jingled to the shop and you were greeted by a familiar face. An elderly witch pinched your cheek, happy to see you returning. She knew you from your second job aside from the workshop, where you worked here to keep the owls clean. A new store assistant waved from behind the counter. You gave them all wide grins and proceeded through the stores.
    First were the owls. You entered a room of them all, and ducked your head when they screeched and flew over your head in welcome. Harry hugged you from behind, casually trying to protect you from their claws. You laughed him off. "Don't worry, I see these little guys every week! They wouldn't hurt me." On cue, a snowy white one with big wings gracefully perched on your head, it's favorite spot. "Maybe a friend for Hedwig..." A brown barn owl with big eyes fluttered onto your shoulder. Harry couldn't help the color rising to his cheeks. "That one suits you well. It has eyes like yours, big and adorable and ones that I can stare at forever."
    You bit your lip and softly punched him on the shoulder. "Enough of that, Mr. Smooth-Talker. We still have the toads!" He groaned, and you pulled him over to the glass terrariums. One specifically caught your eye. It was smaller than the rest, the runt of the litter. But while all others were immobile, this one hopped all around its enclosure, unique red stripes on it glimmering. You took it out of the cage and held it in your hands.
    "Cute one, isn't it?" You asked. Harry opened his mouth to reply, but was instantly shut up when the frog leaped from your hands into his mouth. You doubled over with laughter from his muffled scream, and howled even harder when he spit it out right back into its terrarium again. You wiped a tear from your eye when he finished shuddering. "Seems like I'm not the only one who wants to have that mouth of yours anymore." You smirked, and he chuckled at the innuendo.
    Lastly were the cats. A beautiful white furred ones with deep blue eyes curled around your leg. "A persian!" Harry exclaimed, bending down to scratch its ears. You raised your eyebrows. "Ah, there was one that hung out on the streets by the Dursleys'. I'd feed it some of my scraps and it would sneak into my bedroom sometimes." His eyes softened at the fond memories. "Aw, Harry, seems like you should adopt it... But me? I've got my eyes on this guy."
    The cat stalked away as you moved towards a brown and toffee striped animal leaped nimbly from shelf to shelf, grabbing small items and throwing it behind cabinets. Its eyes glimmered with mischief. "A ferret." You whispered. It noticed your presence and jumped to the floor, scurrying its way up your clothes and around your neck. It squeaked in delight.
    "Seems like you find your partner in crime." Harry grinned. "Is it a match?" You and the ferret looked at each other. "A match."

Maybe this chapter was fueled by my immense love for ferrets, who knows. If you liked this chapter, please give it a vote, and any suggestions for future one shots are greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!