Chapter 35: He Gives Us A Look, And Leaves

At breakfast, we all sit at our normal tables, almost as if nothing has changed. Almost as if we were still initiates.

"Hello," Toby announces, standing on a table. "New Dauntless members, I'd like to remind you that tonight at six you will be picking jobs."

At the proclamation, almost everyone pales, which means some Dauntless-borne who prefer to stay in the cave which we call home are almost white.

——————— Witney ————————

"What jobs do you think are available?" Chris asks aloud as we head back to the dorms which won't be dorms for long. Each job has an apartment that goes with it, with the more desk jobs having well- desks, and each one made to work with the lifestyle.

I'm honestly surprised Dauntless thinks about stuff like that. Here, I wouldn't've thought it would matter. It seems almost Erudite of them.

"I heard that there was two openings at the clothing stores," Marlene tells Christina. "Rumor has it that the rooms come with sewing equipment so you can make your own pieces."

I know what Chis will choose.

They go on talking about what they have heard or in some cases- what Zeke has confirmed.

"What about you Tris?" I hear Will ask.

"Leader of course," comes a voice from the door. "Uriah too."

I turn, knowing exactly who it is. There Tobias is, leaning against the door frame in all his glory.

"I think you're mistaken," I tease. "We already have five leaders."

He shakes his head and replies, "that's where you're wrong, all of our leaders just got convicted of treason. They were planning on working with Erudite to place everyone in a simulation to kill the Abnegation. Now there needs to be at least three leaders, preferably five if possible."

"And how do you know this?" Lynn asks.

"Because I have been offered to take one of the positions." He informs her. "I've been saying no for two years because of what happened to the leadership, but now it can be built back better than before."

"Has anyone else been chosen?" Zeke asks, suddenly appearing behind Toby in the doorway.

"Tori is one and a man named Adam is the other, which would leave two places for initiates one and two."

He gives us a look, and leaves.