Chapter 4: Slight Mischief

Few months later after adopting Tod, he grew into a healthy fox cup and became part of Widow Tweed's and Lily's farm family.

One day inside the barn house where it was filled with farm animals (like chickens, a cow, and roasters), Widow Tweed was milking her cow named Abigail and Lily was feeding the chickens, roasters and the cow.

Young Tod walked into the barn before he saw the cow's tail and started to play with it as if its a toy.

Abigail turned to the fox cup and mooed at him annoyed.

The widow and her grandchild saw Tod playing with Abigail's tail.

"Tod, stop pestering Abigail", said Widow Tweed while laughing at Tod's playful nature.

When she finish feeding the chickens and the roasters, Lily walked up to the cow and stroked her tenderly.

"Now, Abigail, you're going have to be patient with Tod", she spoke to Abigail. "He's part of this family now".

Abigail nodded and mooed softly at the human child understandably in reply as if she said "All right".

Tod licked his lip and to stood on his back legs asking for the Abigail's warm milk.

Widow Tweed wasn't sure what he wanted until Lily knew as she walked over to her grandmother and held her fair hands over to her.

"He wants some milk, Grandma", she explained as she giggled.

The widow started to laugh and understood now.

"Oh, of course! Now I know", she smiled before sprayed some milk in her granddaughter's hands.

With some milk, Lily knelt by Tod and offered him Abigail's milk as she said, "Here, Tod".

Tod licked the milk from Lily's hands and finished it happy with some warm drink.

"I declare, I'll never will get my chores done", she smiled as she continued milking Abigail.

Lily went back over to Abigail and petted her to give her some company.

Curious about the chickens, Tod went over to them and saw three baby chicks with their mother chicken.

As he was to touch the chicks to play with them, the mother chicken started to freak out fearing that the fox cup was going to eat her chicks and to chase him around the barn which started to scare Abigail.

Startled, Widow Tweed fell off from her stool and Lily started to chase Tod and the mother chicken to help her fox pet.

"Oh, mercy!", cried the widow as she saw the chicken chasing Tod with Lily trying to catch him. "Tod! Tod, stop it!"

Lily finally caught Tod and raised him highly away from mother chicken's attack and pushing her slightly away as she yelled her, "Stop it! Stop it!"

"Abigail! Abigai--!", Widow Tweed called to her cow before she was hit by her tail and the frightened Abigail knocked over the bucket of milk that the widow was filling. "Oh, no! There goes our milk! Oh, no!"

When Lily saved Tod from the mother chicken's attack, she placed him gently back on a ground before the child ran toward Abigail and started to calm her down by stroking her face lovingly.

"Its alright, Abigail", she said softly to her cow. "Easy, old girl."

At that moment, when she listened the girl's voice and felt her soft touch, Abigail started to relax and mooed softly at the child.

Lily embraced Abigail's neck as the cow returned the hug by rubbing her chin on the girl's back.

Widow Tweed, amazed and proud of Lily's action, patted on Abigail's side.

"There...there", she said to the cow before she and Lily turned to Tod who was sitting by some of the farm tools nervously.

"Tod!", she called to him, upset. "You come here!"

But Tod didn't move.

"I said come here!", she ordered again but he hesitated.

"Tod, come here", Lily ordered gently but with disappointment in her voice.

Tod walked over to the widow and Lily and just as he got close to them, the widow picked up.

"Just look what you've have done!", she scolded as Lily pointed at the spilled milk.

Tod cringed a little bit at the sight before he turned to his adoptive human family before he smiled and nuzzled the widow's hand before licking her face.

"Now, don't try to butter me up", she ordered him before she couldn't ignore his innocence and started laughing as he continued licking her face.

Lily started to giggle enjoying this moment despite the slight trouble with the mother chicken.

Widow Tweed lifted Tod in front of her and smiled at him warmly.

"Oh, Tod, we just can't stay angry with you", she said to him. "You little imp".

She then handed Tod to her granddaughter and said to them, "Now, run along and play, you two".

"Are you sure?", the girl as she frowned concerned. "I can help you with the milk, Grandma".

Smiling at her granddaughter's kindness, Widow Tweed cupped her hand against Lily's cheek.

"Oh, just like your mother; always helping others", she said tenderly.

Lily smiled lightly when the widow mentioned her deceased mother (who died along with her father in a car accident and became an orphan when she was only 4 years old before she was taken in by Widow Tweed.)

Widow Tweed kissed her granddaughter on a forehead before she said, "Don't worry, Lily. I'll take care of the mess and start milking by scratch. You and Tod go and have fun".

"Sure," said Lily as she put Tod down and motioned him to follow. "Come on, Tod".

Both she and Tod ran out of the barn as Widow Tweed called out to them, "And make sure to stay out of mischief!"

"We will", Lily assured her grandmother before she and Tod stopped outside of the entrance of the barn house.

They looked at each other and started to think about what they want to do to stay out of trouble.

Tod looked up and saw Boomer and Dinky flying in a sky.

"Hey", Tod said to himself (knowing that Lily can't hear him speak), "It's Dinky and Boomer! Maybe they wanna play with us".

Tod started to follow the two birds as Lily followed behind him and became curious about where the birds are going.

Sorry I've been taking so long to upload the next chapter!

I've been busy with working lately

Happy late Halloween and Feliz Día de los Muertos (Happy Day of the Dead)!

I'll upload the next chapter that involves with Dinky and Boomer trying to catch Squeaks the caterpillar! =)