Chapter 20: Vixey

The next morning, Big Mama flew around the Game Preserve looking for Tod.
She learned that Lily and her widowed grandmother took him to the forest where it's safe from hunters and had to go search for him.

"Tod?!", she called. "Tod?!"
Exhausted from the search, Big Mama flew over to a nearby tree and landed on a branch before panting and stretching her wings.

"Oh, boy. These old wings ain't what they used to be", she said to herself before she sat down and rubbed her stomach."Big Mama, you better loose a few pounds."

She suddenly saw a fox by a pond licking itself.

Could that be Tod?

"Oh! Oh! There he is! There he is! Tod! Tod", she called at the fox.

The fox turned to Big Mama but it wasn't Tod.
It was a beautiful young vixen named Vixey.
"Oh! Hi, Big Mama!", she greeted to the owl who immediately recognized Vixey.
"Oh, it's you, Vixey", Big Mama smiled.
"Hey, what brings you way out here?", Vixey ask her owl friend.
"I'm looking for a fox named Tod", said Big Mama. "He's new here in a forest."
Vixey was astounded to hear news about a new fox that she asked the owl interest, "Oh, new? Well, what does he look like?"

"Well, he's young. About your age....and handsome", Big Mama smiled.

The word "handsome" made the vixen smile and blush.

"Handsome? Oh, say...gee...uh...He sure sounds nice."

This reaction made Big Mama smiled wider as she walked along on a tree.

Uh, well, I'm not doing anything. I'll help you find him", Vixey said.

" Come on, honey. He's gotta be around here somewhere," Big Mama laughed softly as she flew from a tree and continued searching for Tod with Vixey following her through the forest.

Meanwhile at the same morning in the forest, Tod was sleeping in a holly tree peacefully after a terrible rain storm.

Mr. Porcupine, who was sleeping underneath Tod's warm and fuzzy tail, woke up and started to stretch as he yawned.

But Mr. Porcupine accidentally pricked the fox with his sharp quills which caused Tod to wake up startled and screamed, "WHAAA!!!"

Wide awake now, Tod jumped and looked around at his surroundings completely forgotten that he's in a holly tree.

"What happened?!", he yelled. "Where am I?!"

Tod accidentally fell out of hole as Mr. Porcupine tried to grab to onto him but failed.

Then Tod landed on Mr. Digger's burrow before he got shoved harshly by the same aggressive badger from last night.

Just as Mr. Digger saw the same fox from last night, he went towards him with a glare.

"So, it's you again! Why, you barged in on me last night and now you--!"

"I didn't mean to?", Tod protested.

But Mr. Digger continued his rant and he saw his home ruined home. "Just looked at that mess you've made!"

Tod saw the old badger's home ruined before he was shoved again in a little ditch.

"DAD GRANIT, YOU CLUMSY BONEHEAD!", Mr. Digger yelled.

"I'm sorry!", Tod apologized again. "It was sn accident!"

But the badger didn't except the fox's apologies as he ranted, "Excuses! Excuses!"

Mr. Porcupine, who was still up on the holly tree, couldn't tolerate his grouchy neighbor mistreating the new animal badly and shakes his fist down at him.

"Mr. Digger sir!", the porcupine yelled. "It was so too an accident!"

Dr. Digger then turned to the porcupine and yelled at him, "YOU keep out of this, you walking PIN CUSION!"

But Mr. Porcupine didn't back down after being insulted,"Well, YOU shouldn't be so GRUMPY to someone who's new in the neighborhood!"

"A stranger, eh?", Mr. Digger wondered to himself before he turned back to Tod with an unwelcome glare. "Why don't you go back to where you came from?!"

Shocked and hurt by the badger's words, Tod tried to protest again but only to give up and turned to walk away.

Tod looked back at Mr. Digger who continued to shoo him away.

"Well, go on! Get going! GET!"

Tod gave a glare at the aggressive badger before he started to walk away into the forest feeling more miserable than ever.

So saddened and disappointed at Mr. Digger's unwelcoming actions toward the new fox, Mr. Porcupine sighed and shook his head sadly.

Tod continued his way into the forest without knowing where to go.
He misses his Lily who was his last friend in the world after being betrayed by his former friend Copper.
And now he's alone forever.

Then he stopped walking and sat down with his head bowed down and ears dropping with sadness and despair.

From behind the bushes, Big Mama and Vixey found Tod sitting by himself sadly.

The female frowned sadly as she saw the new fox in depression and turned to the owl, "Aww, gosh. He seems so...I don't know...so downhearted, Big Mama".

Big Mama, after she discovered that the little human girl had to abandon Tod to keep him safe from Copper and Amos, explained to Vixey, "Well, you can't blame him, honey. He was dropped out here and left all alone without a friend in the world".

Wishing she would do something to make Tod happy again, Vixey turned to Big Mama with a hopeful look.

"Well, maybe if there's something I can do...you know...to cheer him up", the vixen said.

Then Big Mama smiled with an excitement.

Vixey's idea came to her mind!

"Honey, you just said the MAGIC words!"

Then Big Mama brought Vixey over to a glowing river and beneath the beautiful sunshine from the spring trees.

She then leaned over to Vixey's ear and whispered something to her.

Vixey giggled blushing at what Big Mama instructed her.

"Wha--Oh! But, Big Mama, I don't--"

"Darling, don't move", Big Mama whispered. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you", Vixey replied with a bashful smile before Big Mama started to make her way to Tod.

Hey, everyone!

I'm so sorry for such a long wait!
Now, we just meet Vixey and Tod will meet her in the next chapter!