Chapter 17: "Goodbye May Seem Forever"

Later that night, Copper was sitting outside by his barrel with his head low before he turned to the cabin where Amos Slade was tending Chief's injuries by the train.

Then the furious Amos burst out of his cabin with his gun walked by Copper who moved out of the way and headed toward Widow Tweed and her granddaughter's house.

As he saw Amos heading toward their house, Copper sat back down and thought about Chief and felt horrible after what happened to his father figure.

"Poor Chief", he said, "and its all my fault".

When Tod came to his mind, he said in anger, "I shouldn't let Tod go!"

Then when Lily came to his mind, he's started to have little concerns about her safety but now knowing she's safe, he started to let it go.

Amos Slade passed a tree where Big Mama, Dinky and Boomer were asleep.

Dinky woke up and started to panic when he saw the hunter heading over to Lily's home before he started to wake up the owl.

"Big Mama! Wake up! Wake up! There's trouble!"

When Big Mama woke up, she looked at Dinky's direction and saw the hunter storming over the widow and her granddaughter's house much to the owl's concern.

Meanwhile back at the farm home, Widow Tweed was on her rocking chair sewing, Tod was asleep on his bed and Lily (who had taken a comforting bath) kneeled beside a warm radiator with her shawl and drinking a cup of tea getting extra warm after her crazy journey in the woods.

Despite trying to comfort herself, the still shaking Lily was still traumatized by the events; Tod being chased by the hunters, almost died from falling down a rocky hill (but was somehow saved but still doesn't know how she survived that), having Tod moved out of a way of a speeding train before poor Chief gets hit and is badly injured, Copper swearing to kill Tod as revenge for his father figure and turning against her.

More tears were dropping from Lily's eyes as she continues blaming herself for almost killing the old dog and Tod and Copper's broken friendship.

She wished she could fix all this but knew there's nothing she can do.

Tod woke up as he heard Lily soft sobs, turned and saw her in tears as she place her tea on a floor, cover her face with her shawl as she tried hide her face and sobbed.

Hate seeing his human friend this way, Tod went over to her climbed on her shoulders, licked her tears off, nuzzled his face against her face and wrapped his fluffy tail around her front as if he was hugging her.

Lily smiled sadly at her beloved fox and hugged him back by placing her fair hands against his face.

But the comforting was was short when Tod sensed something.

Someone was coming to their house.

Feeling scared, Tod jumped from Lily's shoulders and hides underneath the radiator much to Lily's concerned.

"Tod, what is it?" Widow Tweed asked.

"Tod?", Lily asked in worry, "What's wrong?"

Suddenly, someone was banging at the the front which made the widow and the girl jumped in fright.

"What on earth?", said the the startled widow.

Tod poked his head out as Lily stayed beside the radiator where her fox is hiding.

"WIDOW!! GET OUT HERE!!", shouted Amos Slade from Widow Tweed's front door.

Big Mama, Dinky and Boomer flew over to the scene as the widow open the door in shock.