Chapter 16: Difficult Reunion and Betrayal

Later that night, while Widow Tweed was in her bedroom sewing on her rocking chair, Tod crept through Lily's bedroom door with Lily, now in her bright blue nightgown, behind him.

The fox and the girl tiptoed their way, downstairs, the living room to the front door.

Ignoring putting her shoes on, Lily wrapped her shawl over her head and shoulders to stay warm before she opened the door and went out with Tod.

Over at the hunter's place, Copper and Chief were sleeping in their barrels outside.

Then when there were rustling with a soft bell ringing, Copper woke up startled and looked over at the where he heard the sounds.

He heard more rustling and soft ringing sounds and realized they were coming from behind the bushes.

He sniffed the air and thought he recognizes the senses.

Then he saw a grown fox emerged from the bushes slowly followed by a young human girl who kneeled by the bushes and let the fox go on.

"Copper!", Tod whispered to his friend as he walked over and stop on a spot. "Hey, Copper. Its only us, Tod and Lily."

"Hi, Copper", Lily greeted with a low voice.

Copper got up from his barrel but did not move close due to being tied to his barrel and smiled as he recognized Tod and Lily.

"I thought that was you and Lily, Tod," Copper whispered. "I've heard you coming. Boy, you've really grown".

"You have too, Copper", Tod replied. "We saw you coming back with Chief and the hunter."

Lily was thinking that things might turn out fine between the two as she half smiled.

Copper smiled disappeared as he was trying to think of what to say to Tod.

"It's great to see you and Lily, Tod..."he whispered but stopped quickly when he heard Chief snorted before he continued with a scowl expression. "But you know you...you shouldn't be over here and bring Lily with you! You're...you're gonna get all into a lot of trouble!"

Seeing Copper has indeed changed and was serious, Lily dropped her small smile and knew that this wasn't a good idea to come to Amos' property at night.

But Tod replied to his childhood friend, "Hey, look. I...I just wanted to see you and Lily really missed you a lot."

Then Tod asked one question that he was waiting to ask Copper.

"We're...we're still friends, aren't we?"

Frowning, Copper looked between Tod and Lily and had no choice but to answer the truth.

"Tod...Those days are over", he said as he turned his head aside. "I'm a hunting dog now."

Tod was so shock by what his old friend had said before he sadly lowered his his head as his ears drooped.

The saddened Lily looked at the ground and knew that their friendship with Copper is over.

Copper looked at his former friends with a concerned look but shook it off and looked back at them firmly.

"You better get yourself and Lily out of here before old Chief wakes up!", Copper ordered Tod as he looked back at Chief who was still asleep.

Knowing that Copper is serious and is right about the old dog and not wanting things to get worst between Tod and Copper, Lily started to walk over to Tod very slowly, kneeled behind him and raised her hands toward him.

"Come on, Tod", she whispered. "We have to go now".

But Tod remained on a spot and shook his head.

"Oh, Chief", he chuckled softly. "He doesn't worry me".