Chapter 15: Copper Comes Back

At that same day in afternoon, Amos Slade was driving his way back home with Copper in a front seat with him and Chief in a back seat while laying on a pile of animal skin.

Amos sang as he drove over a train track;

"I ain't got no job

I'm huntin' man!

And I rather have a dog than a dollar

So let's go banjo ring-a-ling-a-ling, ho!

Give a little hoot and a holler".

Amos turned and saw Chief laying jealously in a back seat.

"Ah, come on, Chief", said Amos trying to cheer him up as he patted him on a head. "Just because you ain't sitting up front, that ain't no reason to be sore head".

Copper turned to Chief with a smile before he gave a lick on his face in gratitude but Chief perked his head up in disgust and looked at Copper grouchily before he laid back down.

"Shucks, if it weren't for you, Copper'd never have turned into a good huntin' dog", Amos said to the old dog.
Copper frowned, shrugged his shoulders before he turned around.

Then Amos turned to the hound dog with a smile before he took his head off and placed it on Copper's head as he said to him, "Yes, siree. Now, I got me the best two dogs there is. Right, Copper?"

Smiling, Copper howled.

"Isn't he somethin', Chief?", Amos laughed as Copper continued howling.

He and Copper howled together as much to Chief's annoyance, he covered his ears as they drove along.

Meanwhile back the farmland, Lily was hanging up her laundry while Tod was laying beside her.

Tod perked up his ear as he heard some howling noises coming from a distance.

Tod smiled as he recognized that howl.

Copper has come back!

When Lily started to hang up her last outfit, she felt her dress being pulled down before she looked down and saw Tod who was pulling her skirt.

"What is it, Tod?", she asked him gently.

He motioned his head ahead as she started to hear the howling.

Lily gasped lightly as she realized that Copper, Amos and Chief had come back from their hunting trip.

"Tod, could that be--?", Lily was about to asked as she and Tod raced over the fence with Big Mama flew over to them.

Once they stopped at the fence, they saw the truck with Amos driving, the now grown Copper next to him and Chief on a backseat with animal skins.

"Look, Big Mama! Copper's back!, he said before he chuckled. "Boy, has he grown big?"

Lily smiled as he saw Copper but she remembered that he's Amos loyal dog and will turn against her.

Big Mama saw the backseat filled with animal skins much to her surprise.

"Uh huh," she chuckled as she pointed at them as they drove toward their home. "And look at that big pile of skins he'd help track track down.

As much Lily respect Copper as a hunting dog inside, she still felt bad for the animals that got killed.

"I know, Big Mama", Tod nodded before he looked up at Lily. "Just like Lily said; He's a hunting dog now."

Big Mama nodded at Tod.