Chapter 5: Silly Caterpillar Chase (Pt.1)

Dinky and Boomer flew toward a tree where they hope they'll find their morning breakfast.

"Is this it, Boomer?", Dinky asked as they landed on a branch.

"Oh, sure, Dinky. This is the place", Boomer said positively before laughing. "I never forget a tree. I never forget a tree."

Dinky started to look around for their prey.
"He won't get away this time", he called sneakily through a short branch that had a hole before he pass it.

He then leaned against the tree and listened very closely.

"Hold it, Boomer", Dinky said. "I think I hear something".

Boomer nodded and laughed excitedly. "Oh, that's him alright, Dinky! That's him alright!"

"Shh! Shh!", Dinky hushed Boomer as he leaned closer and listened to a sound in the tree. "Get ready, Boomer. Hey, I can hear him moving. Listen".

Boomer leaned against the tree and listened without knowing he was squashing Dinky by his stomach.

"Funny. I don't hear nothing", Boomer said.

"Shhh, quiet", said Dinky quietly.

Boomer listened closely until he finally backed away released Dinky from being squashed against the tree.

"Oh, that's him alright, Dinky! That's him alright!", said Boomer as he continued laughed excitedly.

Annoyed, Dinky flew onto Boomer beak and closed it.

"Button your beak, will ya?!, he scolded before flew over to the hole and peaked through it. "I check it out".

Inside the hole of the tree was Squeaks the caterpillar lying on his leaf, eating his favorite food.

"Would you look at that?", Dinky asked watching the insect finished his food before turned to Boomer.

They're ready to get their breakfast.

"Okay, Boomer", Dinky said. "He's right......there!".

Just as Dinky pointed his feather at the hole, Boomer started pecking the hole with his beak as Dinky flew out of the way in a nick of time.

"YIKES! Watch it!", shouted Dinky.

Boomer kept pecking until he got his beak stuck inside the whole before he tugged it out along with a piece of an inside of the tree with Squeaks behind it on Boomer's beak.

When Squeaks saw the attacker, he screamed in fear before he jumped back into the hole to get away.

"Why you!--"Boomer growled as he managed to get the piece of tree off of his beak and started to attack the caterpillar but kept failing when Squeaks avoided getting pecked by Boomer.

"Nail him, Boomer! Sock it to him!", Dinky cheered for him as he watched the scene.

As this was happening, Tod and Lily (who has brought a sketchbook with her) finally caught up with the birds and saw them up in the tree.

"Hiya, fellas!", Tod greeted Dinky and Boomer. "What ya doing? You wanna play?"

Annoyed, Dinky landed on a bush and looked down at Tod and Lily as he replied, "Stay out of this kid. This don't concern you".

Tod frowned in disappointment and Lily gave him a stern look for ignoring Tod invitation to play with him before she saw Boomer pecking the tree so hard that he stabbed the other side of the tree and pushed the caterpillar out.

"Let him have it!", shouted Dinky.

Squeaks crawled away before he turned and saw Boomer glaring at him from the other side of the tree hole before he pulled his head out and started to chase him.

Squeaks gasped in fear before he crawled into the leafs with Boomer chasing behind him and followed him in the leafs.

Lily gasped as she saw the woodpecker chasing the poor little innocent caterpillar and the pecking was heard in the moving leafs.

"Don't let the creep get away!", yelled Dinky. "You can take him, Boomer! Give him a left! A right! Let him have it!"

She started to think of something to do to help Squeaks before she saw him crawled out of the leafs before he was on the edge of a stick and he saw how high it was that it made him dizzy and screamed.

He crawled into a hole to hide before Boomer burst out of the leafs and stopped at the edge.

"Which way did he go?", Boomer asked Dinkey.

"This way!", Dinky replied as he flew and land on Boomers head.

They looked for left, right, down, up and at each other wondered where did Squeaks disappeared.

Squeaks poked his head out of the hole as Lily saw a rock beside the tree and picked it up.

Her idea hit her as Dinky saw Squeaks in a hole.

"There he is!" Dinky yelled as he pointed his feather at the caterpillar.

Boomer turned and saw the caterpillar as Squeaks crawled back into the hole in fear.

The woodpecker pecked through the hole when suddenly, Lily threw the rock at the stick before it broke half of it which made Boomer fall with it and landed on a ground.

Dizzy from his fall, Boomer got up and looked at his bended beak.

Tod looked at Boomer in a very concern manner not understanding what Dinky and Boomer were doing and didn't saw Lily threw a rock at the spot where they were attacking the caterpillar.

"What happened to you?", he asked the woodpecker. "Golly!"

"Oh, shucks! I think I bent my b-b-b-beak", Boomer replied to Tod as he straightened his beak.

"Now, see what you done?!", Dinky asked angrily as he flew down in front of Boomer while he was also not aware that it was Lily who made them loose their prey. "You cost us our breakfast!"

Offended, Boomer argued back at Dinky, "I cost us our breakfast?! It was YOUR fault!"

"What are you talking MY fault?!"

"Yeah! Yeah!"

As the two birds continued arguing, Lily looks up and saw Squeaks poked his head out and saw the birds below away from him.

Lily smiled up at him as she gave him a wink let him know that he's save before he sighed in relieve happy that he was saved by a human who had compassion.

"A worm for breakfast? YUCK!", Tod cringed in disgust and let the two argue over the caterpillar.

Both Tod and Lily left the two and decided to find something else to do.

Sorry that I took so long to upload, guys!

Up next chapter will be where Tod and Copper meet and become best friends which will make Lily's heart melt at the sight.

I'll upload more chapters soon!