Ashlyn Refuses to Help the Elderly

Caylie POV

We collect water. We walk over to Grace. She puts in a drop of iodine. This doesn't feel right.

I feel sketchy because when I was snooping on Grace, what did I see? A glint of red. But not just any red, scarlet red. Like this bottle. What makes me feel even more insecure is the look of trepidation on Ashlyn's face as the vile was pulled out. A second of horror in her eyes before she remembered she had to be careful, especially around Grace. She and Alex are drinking our leftover water. But what's the matter with the iodine? I really don't know, but I haven't drank in a few hours. I am very thirsty. I take a sip.

Nothing happens. As the others wait for their turn I turn to Ashlyn and see that she's studying me closely. I shrug at her and continue drinking, and her eyes widen. She casually walks over to me and says "Don't" before walking back to her spot on the rock she was sitting on. I look at her. She has a touch of panic in her eyes, with a hint of stress. I want to inquire more, but Grace pulls something else out of her bag.

"Look! I forgot about this water.. Cheryl, why don't you have this? You can wait 'till your done it to get the iodine stuff." Grace exclaims. Odd. She didn't seem to notice the water in her bag before even though it was right in front of her face. I must keep a close eye on her. Especially because of the familiarity of the vile, and the expressions on Ashlyn's face, which are kind of ridiculous. She looks absolutely stressed, and I am personally surprised that no one has asked her if she's okay. Her look is almost ludicrous. I raise my eye-brows at her and she stops giving off her worried style.

After Seth, Grace, Kate, and I have a couple of canteens full each, we walk down the path some more. What we encounter is not exactly optimal.

There is a woman standing on the side of the road, looking very confused and belabor. Ashlyn slowly wanders towards her, and when encountering her says "Ma'm, are you okay?" The woman starts speaking, although it's not perceptible from where I'm standing. Ashlyn looks befuddled, and then says "Why?" Ashlyn must have heard what the old lady said, and her response must not have been ideal for the lady because she says louder "I must. You-you must help me." Ashlyn looks aghast. She shakes her head.

"No, I will not." she says definitely. The hag reaches for Ashlyn's collar, and pulls her head down. She whispers something into Ashlyn's ear. Ashlyn's reaction is quick.

"I will not help you. Never." Ashlyn states. The lady says for us barely to hear "You must.. And you will." The next few things happen so fast that I can barely process what's going on.

The woman grabs Ashlyn as she turns around to come back to us. I see a puff of smoke, and when it disapears, I see only Ashlyn lying on the ground, yellow liquid coming from her back as her eyes shutter shut.