Ch.19 - Flint

The more time I spent at Hadley's house the more comfortable I became. What was I nervous about to begin with? He's just a nice guy trying to learn more about being a shifter and trying to make friends with someone who is a shifter like him. Maybe he wants someone to go on a run with at times. And we've both admitted to having feelings. Oh gods did I really admit to that? It's true, but I've never admitted to having feelings for someone before.

"Flint? Are you alright?" He asked, looking up from the menus.

I nodded, a little too quickly. "Yeah. Just..."

"Thinking about how weird this seems to be?" He smiled softly.

"Yeah. That. Sorry. I've... I've never really stayed overnight with anyone before. Never really had anyone to stay with. And then I became part of the pack and only three of us live there full time and even then one of us is there off and on. And one only started living there after something happened. I'm not even sure what happened there."

"So it's more like you're living in an apartment building or something, right?"

"Basically. We all have our own rooms in case we want or need to stay over. It's kind of... It's like it's required for us to stay together when we're going to do a pack hunt. It's hard, but makes it easier for when we need to move around and for us to find the location to hunt. Usually Demeter does this before he tells us some dates he has in mind for the hunt." I looked down, pulling my left leg up to me while I adjusted myself on the stool I had moved to. "He's not all bad, really."

"But he's not someone you seem to like being around a lot."

"Yeah. It's not even Demeter, it's Devil. Devlin. Dev."

"I think that's the first time you've mentioned him by what I'm assuming is his real name instead of a nickname."

I nodded. "Meat lovers for one of the pizzas?"

"How about two? Have you ever had barbeque chicken pizza?"

"No. I do love barbeque chicken though. So I'm willing to try it." I smiled, looking up at him. "Thank you."

He blinked. "For?"

"For asking me to come over. For not freaking out about everything I've told you. For not pressuring me to talk about things that are hard to talk about."

"If I wouldn't want to talk about something with someone I wouldn't want to be pressured into talking. I know what that feels like and I know it sucks something fierce. If I wouldn't want to go through that then I'm not going to put someone else through it. That's just not right." He stood, walking over to a bookcase. "Come here. Why don't we pick out some movies?" He waved me over, smiling. "I'll let you start looking through the movies and I'll put the pizza order in. I'm thinking we need to add some boneless wings and some garlic bread sticks. What do you think?"

"Can we make it a large order of wings and depending on what we have for leftovers we don't need to get lunch and we can run around tomorrow and maybe make something together tomorrow night?" I smiled hopefully and beamed when he nodded, smiling back at me as he dialed the pizza place.

There are enough horror movies that it's slightly worrying, but it looks like there are other genres mixed in. Do you have these organized by genre? I tilted my head, looking through the movies and trying to figure out where things were.

"The horror movies are on the shelves eye-level with you." I jumped when he spoke. I had been so lost in my thoughts that I hadn't heard him walk up behind me. I scrambled to regain my footing and felt his arms around me. "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you. Maybe I should start wearing a bell." He laughed. "I used to scare the crap out of my sister constantly. Now if I'm moving around I have to keep talking so she knows where I'm at and doesn't get worried when I walk into the same room she's in."