masked - [g]

word count: 1874

~ summary: you go to a party where everyone is wearing masks, which leads to you mistaking one person for another ~

———————————————————————

You pulled up to the large, white house that was practically a mansion compared to your own and stared at it in awe as your conscience shooed you inside to start partying.

You'd been to a one of these parties before, called a "Midnight Masks" party for obvious reasons which will be explained later. It was always hosted by the same people but it almost felt like the house had got bigger over the years. Or maybe it was because you were disoriented by all the stuff on your mind.

You were in a pretty serious relationship with your boyfriend, Tyler, but your thoughts frequently trailed off to think about your best friend, Grayson. It was totally inappropriate to be daydreaming about him while you were dating someone else but you just couldn't help it.

Grayson was so perfect.

Kind, loving, and, of course, insanely attractive. You had liked Grayson for a long time and wanted nothing more than to be his girlfriend but there was that nagging possibility at the back of your mind that it could ruin your entire friendship.

If he didn't feel the same way or thought it was strange, it would destroy everything. Three words, eight letters, practically a ticking time bomb.

You loved Grayson dearly and wanted to remain close to him until the end of time. Unfortunately, the only way to do that was to put a thick line between best friend and boyfriend. So, when Tyler asked you out, you thought it was the perfect opportunity to draw that line.

Grayson seemed very hurt and disappointed when he heard you had gotten in a relationship but you figured it was because he was afraid he'd be ignored, which would never be the case. Grayson was the most important person in your life and no boyfriend or other best friend could get in between that.

———

You started walking towards the grand entrance when someone strolling across the lawn caught your eye. You looked over to see Tyler kicking up dirt as he ambled towards the front door.

You walked over to him and smiled when he looked up.

"Hey babe!" you called sweetly.

"Oh hey," he replied, his voice dull.

He gave you an awkward side hug and held your hand reluctantly as you both walked through the tall double doors of the house.

When you got inside, he let go of your hand quickly and walked over to where his friends were to hang out with them. You let your hand flop to your side and heaved a sigh of despair.

Tyler was definitely not the romantic type. Almost every time you and Tyler hung out together, he always ditched you to hang out with his shitty friends.

Maybe Tiffany was right. Maybe things between you and Tyler weren't working out. I mean, she was your best friend and she wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. But you could always fix things. It would be hard but it wasn't impossible.

You stopped yourself from overthinking the situation because you didn't want to get lost in your thoughts for the millionth time that day.

Tiffany skipped over to you, causing you to force a smile as to not ruin her good mood.

"Hey!" she beamed. "Amazing party, right? It's so much better than last year's!"

"Ehh."

You tilted your fingernails from side to side to watch the light dance across them.