8. You Can't Do That

"Penelope Anne if you don't mind I'd like to talk to you in the other room." Brian spoke  beginning to rise from his chair.

"If I can Brian, I'd like to explain." George cut in. My uncle looked at him skeptically for a moment, sitting back down.

"I came over for the papers that you called about this morning, and well, Poppy was here and I wanted to bring her sightseeing, I'm really sorry, it was all my idea." He spoke with guilt showing.

"I have been calling you all day George. We were supposed to go out for lunch after my photoshoot, remember? Instead you go running off with your ex girlfriend for the day?" Pattie raised her voice in annoyance, completely out of patience in disgust.

"And that doesn't excuse Poppy's actions, she chose to go." My uncle spoke disappointedly.

"With George." She spat with venom lacing her words with what almost seemed to be jealousy. I haven't a clue why she would be insecure about her relationship with George,  I mean who would pick a nobody over a gorgeous super model?

"Poppy I think-" My uncle began sternly. I already had enough, between this confrontation and meeting my father I just couldn't handle any more stress.

"- I met Dad." I interrupted with a sigh in need to get it off my chest feeling like the walls were closing in on me with all the shouting going around.

Brian's face dropped into horror.

"Y'what?" He rose from his chair unsure if he had heard me correctly.

"I saw him at a park." I lingered shaking my head trying to push back the tears I felt rising.

"He recognized me y'know," I continued, "he kept a picture of mum and I in his wallet, which was pretty full of quid seeing that he's a lawyer now." I spoke bluntly, walking straight to my room without saying another word to keep myself from crying in front of everyone.

I could've sworn I heard Pattie scoff at me as I rushed out of the room making my heart sink.

I shut the room door and locked it behind me, finally letting go and allowing myself to sob like I desperately needed to, crashing down into the bed.

I cried into my pillow muffling the sobs, trying to relieve my frustration.

There was so much I didn't understand but I didn't know if I wanted the answers, all I knew is that my father had run away from home when he found out my mother was pregnant, leaving us for the ten years before she had passed, but maybe there was something more to it contrary to what I've always thought. I don't think he would've been so contented to see me if it were as simple as that.

I wanted so desperately to hate him, but thinking about him I just couldn't, he didn't seem like the low life I had envisioned for the first twenty years of my life. I just wanted to know why he had hurt me the way that he did.

Minutes passed and I no longer heard Pattie and George's loud argument, now complete silence lingered throughout the entire apartment signalling their departure.

I heard a knock at my door.

"Go away." I replied shortly, trying my best not to sound like I was crying.

"Poppy, please talk to me." Brian spoke on the other side of the door.

"There's nothing to talk about. We knew it would happen one day." I sniffled as tears flowed down my cheeks.

"Are you really going back to Liverpool?" He asked with hurt.

I wiped my eyes with my hands and got up from the bed, trying to not look like I had been crying when I opened the door.