23. I Will

Later that evening the boys had a celebratory party to celebrate the end of their filming for the movie. I tried to act like like I was fine but I couldn't seem to shake my glum attitude.

"What's wrong love?" George purred into the crook of my neck, beginning to leave a trail of kisses on my jaw, his arm wrapped around my waist tightly as I sat on his lap.

We were amongst a sea of people sitting on a chair at a table, everyone else busy with their own conversations to be watching is.

"It's nothing." I shook my head, unable to to smile fully at how seductive he was trying to be.

"I may be a little drunk love, but I'm not blind." He looked me in the eyes with a smirk.

A small smile rose on my lips.

"Well?" He waited for me to tell him what was the matter.

"I-" I had difficulty speaking, not sure that I ever wanted to tell him the truth.

"Poppy." He looked at me solemnly, waiting for me to tell him a straight answer.

"I don't want to spoil your night." I smiled bringing my hand up to his cheek, leaning into his lips and placing a soft kiss on them.

He backed away from my face frowning.

"Please?" He stuck out his bottom lip.

I brushed his hair away from his eyes, fearing what his reaction might be.

"You and Cynthia didn't really go shopping at all, did you?" He spoke softly as he drew a heavy sigh.

"We went to the doctor." I confessed, pursing my lips immediately after.

"Why?" His face clouded over with concern.

"I thought I was pregnant." I whispered to him in a shy voice, watching George intently for a response.

"And you're not, right?" He asked slowly.

"Why did you ask like that?" I spoke defensively, wondering why he made it sound like he was frightened I was. There was a lot of ways I thought George might react,

"Well, you know." He looked like the reasoning was obvious.

I got off his lap taken aback slightly. It was effecting me more than it should've but I think deep down I thought having a child with George wouldn't be the most terrible thing in the world. Evidently he couldn't say the same.

"Poppy, You can't be serious." He looked up at me with a cautioning look. It seemed like he thought I was being ridiculous.

"I'm going to go, I'm not doing this." I shook my head feeling frustration rising in my chest.

"How would we even take care of the damn thing Poppy?" He asked grabbing my arm before I could leave.

"You're right George! I guess it was silly of me to even hope to have a family with you!" I spoke feeling wound up.

George froze realizing what he'd unleashed.

"You know I didn't mean that." He reaches out toward me.

I turned on my heel and pushed through the crowd of people as far away as George as I could, until I bumped into Paul.

"Hello love." He smiled brightly at me.

"Hi Paulie." I smiled although it was evident I was on the brink of tears.

"What's wrong?" Paul's expression immediately fell, examining my features intently.

My lip quivered causing him to pull me into a comforting hug, although unsure of what was the matter. I nuzzled into his chest feeling my emotions begin to overwhelm me.

"Let's get you a drink yeah?" Paul asked as we broke apart.

I nodded and followed him to the bar where he ordered drinks for the two of us.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Paul asked before taking a sip of his beer.

I shook my head quietly feeling a headache beginning to pulsate throughout my skull.

I felt tears brimming my eyes as I looked at the ground. The more I overthought about George's reaction made me feel worse and worse with every passing second.

Paul gently brought his hand to my cheek to wipe away one of my tears. His kind gaze met mine and it lingered for a moment, long enough I hadn't realized George had found his way over through the crowd over to the two of us.

"Sod off Paul." George shoved Paul away from me furiously, his eyes fiery with jealousy.

"George." I grabbed him arm trying to pull him away from Paul.

He jolted out of my grip looking back to me.

"So when we fight what? You go running to Paul?" He spat.

"George, Paul's my friend." I looked at him unable to see the sweet George I knew and loved.

He shook his head looking between Paul and I and disappeared back into the crowd.

"Let's get you home." Paul put his hand on my shoulder gently.

I nodded sullenly, following Paul closely our to his car in desperate need of a nap.

The car ride back to the flat was silent and awkward, but Paul was gentle and kind as he usually was. I was thankful he'd stayed calm when George had been so jealous. I wished that things wouldn't had blown out of proportion when I had told George I thought I was expecting but it had happened.

"This is it." Paul chuckled as he pulled up the flat.

"Thank you Paul." I smiled genuinely, thankful for such a good friend.

He looked down at my lips, slowly beginning to lean in.

For a moment I stayed in place before having a guilty feeling in my conscience causing me to back up right before our lips met.

"You're in love with Jane. I'm in love with George." I pursed my lips and looked down at my lap.

"I know. I'm sorry." He spoke quietly ashamed of himself.

"I don't think my feelings for you had ever really gone away completely." Paul confessed staring out ahead of him.

"Paul I really do truly love and care for you, but George is the love of my life." I smiled melancholy.

"I know." He nodded with a small grin.

"I just hate to see you hurting. I would do anything to make you happy Poppy." He smiled with a hint of sadness in his features.

"I love you James Paul McCartney." I smiled joyfully, leaning over the console to hug him.

"I will always love you Penelope Anne Epstein." He whispered into my hair squeezing me tightly.

"Goodnight." I smiled giving him a peck on the cheek.

"Goodnight love." He nodded as I exited the car.