Mother Knows Best

Lila walked behind Nathanael up the stairs to his apartment. They reached the door and Nathanael reached to open it when he stopped.

Lila noticed this and looked at him in concern "Everything okay, Nathy?"

Nathanael looked at her and sighed. "Well, the thing is..."

Lila raised an eyebrow in confusion "The thing is what?" she asked.

"It's just my mum is a little...well...full on" Nathanael said rubbing the back of his neck anxiously.

Lila let out a giggle "It'll be fine Nathy...jeez you're a real worrier y'know that"

Nathanael rolled his eyes but finally opened the door and walked in with Lila following.

His mother came down the stairs just as they walked in.

"Nathanael you're home oh! And you a brought a girl with you!" she said excitable.

Nathanael groaned internally 'She just has to be embarrassing...Lila's never going to want to my friend after this!"

"Well Come on Nathanael introduce your girlfriend have I taught you no manners?" His mother smirked.

Lila and Nathanael both went red in the face.

"Um...she's N-not my G-girlfriend...we're just f-friends" Nathanael stuttered out.

His mum frowned "well that's a pity" she turned her attention to Lila with a kind smile she asked, "may I ask your name?"

"Oh, I'm Lila...Lila Rossi" Lila finally spoke up through a blush was still obvious on her face.

Miss Kurtzberg gasped "You're the girl Nathanael always talks about!"

"Mum!" Nathanael hissed, his cheeks ablaze.

Lila glanced at Nathanael surprised as well as happy to hear he talked about her.

His mother laughed at how embarrassed her son was getting.

"Well, Lila it is a pleasure to meet you," Nathanael's mum said with a bright smile.

"Uh thank you Miss Kurtzberg," Lila said ducking her head shyly.

"Miss Kurtzberg...No need to be so formal you can just call me Adina"

"Oh okay...Adina" Lila said awkwardly glancing at Nathanael.

"Mum you're making Lila feel awkward" Nathanael glared.

"Nonsense" His mum shook her head. "Now Lila are you hungry?"

"Oh no I'm okay," Lila said.

"No need to be shy dear," Adina said patting Lila's shoulder. "Nathanael don't just stand there go get her something to eat" his mother ordered him.

Nathanael gave her a wary look not trusting to leave Lila alone with his mother but finally with a sigh he walked off to the kitchen.

Adina watched her son walk off and when he was finally out of earshot. She turned to Lila mischievous smile "Now we can finally talk...come on!" she led Lila into the living room.

When they came into the living room Miss Kurtzberg looked around with a thoughtful expression "Now where did I leave that photobook" she muttered.

"Photobook?" Lila repeated with a raise of her eyebrow.

Miss Kurtzberg turned and gave a bright smile "Oh yes you're going to love it"

Lila smiled back and gently sat down on the sofa.