Red String

Lila sat down on the bench beside Nathanael and Juleka. It was Lunchtime and some other students were sitting around or standing as they talked in the groups. Others were walking quickly out of the building in a rush to go get food.

Lila rubbed her eyes and complained "This has got to be the most boring day ever! I nearly fell asleep in Maths"

Juleka laughed "Nathanael actually did fall asleep"

Lila looked at Nathanael grin "That's just typical of you!"

"I didn't mean to!" He said.

"Then Mrs Martin accidentally scared him awake, it was so funny" Juleka smiled.

Lila pouted "I wish I was in your Maths class!"

"You really don't" Nathanael muttered.

Juleka rolled her eyes "Nathanael struggles with Maths unlike you, Lila"

"I'm not a math's genius...I'm just average," Lila said.

"You're in the top Maths class with Sabrina and Max so yeah you're a genius compared to me," Nathanael said.

Lila laughed.

"I suppose I better go and tidy out that drama store, Miss Taylor is expecting me"

Juleka's eyes widened as she asked: "Why do you have to clean the store out?"

"It's part of my punishment for standing up to a bully!" Lila said in a sour voice.

"Oh right well then, Good Luck" Juleka smiled.

Lila smiled as she stood up "Thanks hopefully I won't need it though"

"I can come and help!" Nathanael exclaimed, a red blush appearing on his face.

Lila looked at him with concern but smiled "No it's okay you helped enough yesterday...I'll be fine" she walked off to the drama classroom.

Nathanael watched her walked off and sighed before putting his face in his hands.

"You okay, Nathanael?" Juleka asked.

Nathanael rubbed his hands down his face and shook his head "No"

Juleka quirked an eyebrow "why not?"

Nathanael sighed again "um...it's nothing, forget I said anything"

Juleka lips formed a tight line as she gave Nathanael a suspicious look "Is it something to do with Lila?"

Nathanael's eyes widened as deep red blush once again appeared on his face "W-what N-No!" he laughed anxiously "Why w-would Lila have S-something t-to do w-with it!" he stuttered.

Juleka gave him an unimpressed look causing Nathanael to sigh and glare at the ground "Fine, maybe she actually does have something to do with it"

"I knew it, so come on what's wrong?" Juleka asked.

Nathanael glanced around and saw the locker area and the hallways were practically empty, there were a few other students still hanging around but they were too engrossed in their own conversations or frantically finishing up homework for their next class. Nobody would hear him.

"I don't know how it took me so long to realise but...um...I have a crush on Lila" he whispered.

Juleka nodded "I knew it!"

He looked at her shocked "What? How? Am I that obvious?" he asked in a panic.

Juleka shook her head with a laugh "No, no you do not, don't worry"