Part 7

Reagan Home

Jack, Sean and Nicki were talking in the front room about Nicki's friend Alfie who had joined them at church, when the boys received a text message.

I love you, I miss you. Sorry I couldn't make it home for your mom's funeral. Keep your head up. Your dad is doing his best. I'll see you soon. Auntie Charlie.

"Who was that from?" Nicki asked smirking
"Auntie Charlie" Jack said
"I got one from her last night saying she was retiring"

"Who's retiring" a voice said from the doorway. The three children looked towards the voice to find their grandfather standing there with their uncle Jamie.

"Nicki a word" Jamie said to get her out of the situation.
As she got up to leave with Jamie, Sean said "Auntie Charlie is retiring according to a text message that she sent to Nicki last night. She just sent us each one".

Just as Frank sat down with his grandson's he heard a few phones go off in the house including his that sat in his breast pocket.

Daddy I love you & miss you. I'm sorry for not being home when Joe and Linda died. I'll see you soon. Charlotte

"I take you got one from her too grandpa" Jack said
"She did but I don't recognise this number, is she back?"
"We don't know Grandpa"

Outback by the old tree

Nicki and Jamie sat at the base of the tree.
"You lied in there" Jamie said
"Only about the text. The rest she told me at dinner last night"
"How was she?"
"Looking okay. Married which you know, she's staying at mom's. mom said she had a rough morning, but you'll have to talk to her about it. Now what's with the grin you've had all day?"

"What I'm about to show you, you can't tell anyone?"
"Okay I promise"
Jamie pulled the ultrasound copy out of his pocket and showed it to his niece.
"What? Who's the mother?"
"Read the scan at the top"
"Edit Marie Janko, 18 weeks. Eddie's having your baby, how long have you been together as a couple?"
"Yes. 6 months tomorrow, so tell me what is really going on with you and Alfie and what happened to Cormack?" Jamie put the scan back into his pocket.
"I dumped him. You were right about dating a cop. But everyone still thinks I'm dating him. Alfie is just a good friend, he's studying pre-law, it seems the justice system runs through his family too!"
"Eddie yes"
"Eddie's older half brother & Alfie's father is uncle Danny's new CO and her other half brother is a chef in the army but apparently you wouldn't be able to tell because he's so skinny."

Just then Danny stuck his head out and called them in for dinner

Once they blessed the food, Henry spoke up "SO did everyone else get a text from Charlotte?"
Everyone but Danny said yes.
"Why would you all get one but me"
"She might have something special lined up for you Danny" Erin said
"Nicki said Charlotte was talking about retiring, so what do you think Nicki?" Frank said looking to the left to his granddaughter.
"I got a text from her a few days ago saying she was coming home then retiring".