chapter 14

When they were halfway across the river, Charlie's phone rang.
“Reagan-Boyle”
“Captain Charlotte Reagan, medic for the U.S. Army”
“Yes who is this?”
“I’m sorry. My name is James Perrier  I’m the Secretary of State”
“sir” Charlie found the closest chair, her nephews looked at her.
“Captain  you are the reciptate of the highest medal of honor”
“shit, sir can you email that to my father?”
“sure”
“commissioner Francis X Reagan,  NYPD”
“MP Captain Francis Xavier Reagan is your father. He was my CO in Nam, it will be great to see him again. Enjoy the rest of your day captain”
“you too sir” she said before hanging up.
“who was that?” Sean asked
“ that Sean was the Secretary of State”
“Wahoo. What are you getting?”
“distinguished service cross also know as a DSC, it means I have to to go to D.C. at some point  in the near future”
“I guess that means we have more to celebrate with this ice cream treat”. Jack said as the ferry docked in lower Manhattan.

2 hours later

The boys and Charlie were knocking on the front door. The front door of the house that Charlotte grew up in. The door slowly opened and there in front of them was pops.
“Charlotte”
“hey pops miss me” Charlotte said hugging him with her free arm. They walked inside, the boys took their stuff up to the room, pops and Charlie headed to the kitchen.
“Now it makes sense. With the text Francis sent about dinner.”
“Yeah Danny said I should text dad what I wanted for dinner. The boys and I already had dessert. Pops do you remember Lincoln Cravath?”
“the jock from school that you used to hang out with before your mother died”
“he’s a big shot lawyer in his father’s firm. I saw him when I picked up Sean. He’s proud of me and what I’ve become.”
Pops looked at his granddaughter “drink”
“just water thank you”
“So what’s your rank and field?”
“Medic. Rank Captain and I’ve nearly finished studying too.”
“study what are you doing?”
“pediatrics medicine “ Charlie said opening her meds.
“How long do you have left?”
“just one semester at NYC. First Reagan not in law enforcement.”
“I’m proud of you. Dinner will be 30 minutes when your father gets home. Do you know where your brother is?”
“which one? I know where both are”
“Okay where are your brothers?”
“Having a romantic night with their girlfriends”.
“I’d say Jamie is with his partner and he’s done something he knows his father wouldn’t be happy with him over.”
“How did you know?”
“I noticed him and Nicki by the tree last night, that tree is where you all go to talk in private. Even you all those years ago when you told your father you were joining the army just shy of your 18th birthday. 15 years away and look at you know.”

“My baby girl is a captain in the US Army” a voice came from the door way.
“Medic also daddy” Charlie  said
“medic that I didn’t know, we have two more coming for dinner pops. Do we have enough?”
“always enough Frank. Who is joining us?” pop said
“Nicki and Erin. Erin's also bring your stuff over.”
The boys walked in and greeted their grandfather and great grandfather before going to grab the stuff to set the table. “set for 7”
“sure pops.”

“Charlotte walk with me” Frank said. Charlie got up and followed her father to this home office.
Charlotte sat across from her father, she felt like she was 15 being told her mother was sick.
“daddy  what’s going on your making me worry? You're not sick?”
“relax baby girl. I’m fine,  pop is fine. I’m glad you're alive. What are you going to do when you retire?”
“I’ve got a semester left at NYC. Take some time off before starting my new career”
“I got a call from the Secretary of State. DCS is the highest medal seems that we'll be going to Washington soon.”
Across town, Danny and Maria were just finishing their early dinner before heading up to their room where they would be making love all night long.