The Future

Bucky comes out of his room wearing his military uniform. Tan and brown with shiny buttons all over for décor. He was proud to serve his country.

Cynthia walks out of her room with his hat, "Bucky I finished cleaning your-"

She pauses. Her carmel colored iris' berth on her friend's uniform. She uses his hat to hide her mouth.

"Well, would you look at that..." her eyes glass over, "My James Buchanan Barnes..."

Bucky looks down on himself and smiles, "Didn't know I was that displeasing."

Cynthia laughs and bops his hat on his head, "You look just fine, soldi-" she chokes on her words. Tears curve against her cheeks and fall onto the floor.

Bucky's eyes widen. Why was she crying? She's pulled into a tight, allusive hug.

"I thought you cried enough this week..." His chin rested on her head.

"Ha..." Cynthia sniffles, "that was just practice..."

Bucky rubs her shoulders and back. He suspires her scent from his lungs.

"Just you wait, Cynthia..." He smooches her on the forehead, "A couple years from now Steve and I will come back from war. And after that we'll walk you down the aisle of your wedding, still not approving your fiancé. Then we three will runaway to the forest."

Cynthia giggles, "I'm pretty sure I would find a guy you both will approve." She nuzzles her head onto his warm chest.

Bucky scoffs defeated, "That's what you're worried about?"

"Not even about running away?" Steve comes out of their room adjusting his suspenders. "Cynthia, can you..." He turns around.

She smiles at him and relieves Bucky from their hug. She walks to Steve rubbing her eyes.

"My boys..." she exhales. She clicks Steve's suspenders on his trousers and turns him around. He was only an inch taller than her without her heels. But that inch was a big deal to Steve. "My dear boys growing up to be men..."

Cynthia closes her eyes and devours Steve into a tight embrace.

"I don't want you guys to go..." She whimpered into Steve's ear.

Steve felt her heart beat against his chest. It was so much stronger and so much more powerful than him and Bucky combined. It contained so much passion that not one can tame. She was what kept him and Bucky alive.

"We'll be back. We swear." Steve encircles his arms around her. He knew when he let go he would miss her scent and warmth.

She pulls back from the gentle embrace and goes to her room. The door was left open for her to hear them.

"But first, he has to enlist, yet, another time." Bucky mocks Steve with his tone of voice. Steve looks at him with an embarrassed but angry look.

"I'll get in soon. Can't beat the sixth try!" Steve tried to lighten up the mood. Or, at least his.

Cynthia walks out with a white blouse and a blue, knee-high, striped skirt, "And you will, I'm sure of it." She twirls in front of her door, waiting for their approval. They nod and she goes back into her room.

"And when you do," Bucky envelops Steve in his arms, "I'll be waiting in the front lines."

Steve pats him on the back, "'til the end."

Cynthia clings to her door frame, capturing the sweetest moments of the love she cherishes the most, before it dissolves in violence. Steve looks at his watch over Bucky's shoulder.