Memories

A woman with dark brown hair lies next to me. Her right arm resting on my chest and nose on my shoulder.

Her eyes are closed. She's breathing slowly. She's sleeping. A blanket draped upon us was collecting warmth from our bodies. I felt content.

"Before I go, Cynthia..." I speak. Who is Cynthia?

"I want to tell you that," I swallow, my heart races, "I've love you. I've loved you for so long that I was blind." I whisper. Afraid to wake her.

Love?

"All those dames I've taken out, they were nothing compared to you."

She shuffles closer to me. My heart racing faster.

"When ever we went on double dates, I would always catch myself looking at you and Steve. Yesterday night was fun. When I come back," I look over to her, "I'll confess my feelings to you. When I come back, I'll ask you to marry me."

Marry? Who am I talking to?

"When I come back from winning the war," I pull a hair behind her hair, "I'll make you happy."

I jolt awake. By the moon, I would say it was about 5:00a.m. I remove my glasses to rub my eyes.

I must have fallen asleep. I sit on a roof top across from Captain America's apartment. Yesterday I inspected the flat. Average living house hold.

I stretch my muscles through my leather uniform. Checking all the weapons just in case.

I remove my mask, careful of my surroundings, and sigh. The crisp morning air was my favorite kind of air. It was refreshing.

What was that dream about? Was it a memory?

I suddenly feel lonely. The dream I have is now fading away. I try to remember the key things.

Love. Marriage. Happiness.

Cynthia.

Who was she? Dark brown hair. She kind of looked like that woman...

No! Stop! Bucky!

It'll be okay, Cynthia. To keep you safe, I have to do this.

But Bucky-

I promise to you, I will protect you. Even if I forget you.

Bucky...

My head hurts. That flashback, I remember her crying a man's name. Was it mine?

"Bucky." The name rolls off my tongue. It felt familiar. I mouth the name he said in my dream.

"...S.... Cyn..Cynthia..." My heart suddenly speeds up. My stomach churns and my eyes burn.

James Buchanan Barnes?

Yes, ma'am. The one and only.

That's a nice name. James....Bucky....Barnes.

Hm?

Nothin' darlin'.

That woman, how long did she know me?

Whats your name?

Cynthia. You can call me Cynthia.

How long? I need to know.

I hopelessly fell in love with you, James!

I need to find her.

I love you.