Extra 1

How were the trio in high school? Anything interesting?

Bucky:

Well, there was this time Steve was lectured by Cynthia-

Steve:

BUCKY!!!

Bucky:

*shrugs* I don't know about you but I thought that was the start of something new. Y'know, before Cynthia and I happened.

. . . . .

"Hurry up! Steve!" Bucky shouts, "Before Mrs. Hue kicks our butts!"

High heels and loafer heels clapped against the floor of their high school. They were fast walking to art class. Fast walking because, you know, Steve's asthma. Cynthia was ahead of them by several feet.

"Well slow down! God knows that Cynthia can just puppy dog our way out!" Steve yelps. His breathing was heavy. Bucky slows his pace.

"Are you okay? Do you ne-"

"I'm fine, Bucky." Steve walks pass him.

"Cynthia, what are...you going to tell her this time?" Steve huffs between breathes. He was almost there. Almost to her.

"Ah," Cynthia furrows her brows, "I don't know. I usually make something up on the spot!" She pulls a hair behind her ear.

"Better think of something good!" Bucky jogs to her, "Like we had a job or something."

Steve was behind them now.

"I said that last time! She can't fall for that again!"

Steve's breath was ragged and hitched.

Cynthia slows down, "Steve? Are you-"

"I'm fine! We need to get to-" Steve trips on his own ankles. Books slapping against the floor. Cynthia was at just the right distance for Steve to land in her arms.

"Geezus, Steve!" Bucky lays his books on the floor and walks towards them.

Steve's frail hands grip onto Cynthia's shoulders, struggling to stand.

"Steve," Cynthia tightens her grasp on his torso, "We're going to the nurses office. They have your inhaler, right? Bucky can go ahea-"

"No, I'm fine." He answers. His voice hushed but they knew he meant it to be stern.

"Steve." Bucky breathed out.

"I'm fi-"

"Bucky go ahead. Steve and I will be there soon." Cynthia puts one of Steve's arms around her shoulder.

"Cynthia I can-"

"I'm sorry, but did I say you could defend yourself?" Cynthia hisses, "What matters more, Steve? Knowledge or the body? You know damn well what the answer is for me."

Bucky stood quiet in the hallway as he saw them off. He picked up their books off the floor and headed to class. What excuse should he use?

Steve and Cynthia arrive at the nurses office. Cynthia practically carrying the skinny man to the cot.

Cynthia plots him on the cot with a squeak from silver springs. His breathing was almost even now. But his face was red and sweaty.

"See? I'm fine, Cynthia," Steve starts to stand up, "we can go back to cl-"

Cynthia pushes him down with a single hand, "We're not going until your breathing is normal and your heart is beating normally, Steven." She glares into his eyes.